Roadworking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Roadworking

How much and how far do you go when road working a dog for the conformation ring?

My friend thinks she golf carts for about a mile. I am riding a bike.

Hogan prefers to run on the pavement. I tried riding in the grass but it is harder on me. Do you run your dogs on pavement or grass? I worry about the pounding on hard surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I used to work my dogs off a bike. I had my older dogs (2+ years) up to 2 miles 3 days a week. And I always worked on pavement -- that was all I had.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the input. I will try to alternate pavement and grass. The grass areas worry me because there might be a hole. I am going to check out some more terrain in te morning.

It is so blazing hot already this is a challenge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Elite Member

What about the big park? Where you can ride on the sidewalk and he can run in the grass? I'd go with you... but it's pretty hilly....

Moxie vom Triton RA CD (GSD)
Breaca von Dog Pound (BC)
APRI Ch Royalty's Jinx'D Ya RN CDX (Sheltie)
RIP Achielles UD, Axel CD, Hella & Malfoy (GSDs)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In a couple of sessions I taught him to run in the grass. Come out to Brewer with your bike. It is flat!

I tried going down the road a bit with Hogan. I can say "grass" and he will move to running on the grass area alongside now. I noticed a mailbox coming up, said "road" and he moved to pavement missing the box.

I am becoming an excellent rabbit hunter! I can spot them better than Hogan now. If one jumps right in front of him his prey drive sparks. Now, i see them first and say "bunny,leave it". He is then prepared for the bunny blasting and controls himself. Hogan is turning out to be a good bike buddy.

Minnie went biking today. She did great with it as she has had lots of golf carting in the past. Hopefully this will work to keep her in shape for the National. Hate to send her away for conditioning.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM

The show guys that I know like to bike on asphalt or running trails. Also they do a lot of swimming.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Swimming would be great. I want a pool! There are different things the roadwork, hill work, swimming etc address. I can't remember how that was described to me by handlers though.

Today there are so many cicadas out my bug phobia would keep me out of it. It has been a tough year in MO already.....tornadoes, swarm of locusts and today an earthquake woke us up around 3 a.m.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have a scooter that I also used to work dogs from. It is electric and pretty quiet.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I like that scooter!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Swimming would be great. I want a pool! There are different things the roadwork, hill work, swimming etc address. I can't remember how that was described to me by handlers though.

Today there are so many cicadas out my bug phobia would keep me out of it. It has been a tough year in MO already.....tornadoes, swarm of locusts and today an earthquake woke us up around 3 a.m.
Well, I know that swimming at least forces them to gait in the water. As opposed to pacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page