Do you need a pro handler for the breed ring? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Do you need a pro handler for the breed ring?

How many owners handle their own dogs in the ring and do well? Do you really NEED a pro handler?

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
Do you really NEED a pro handler?
The honest answer is no, if you have the talent to exhibit a dog. I owner handle my dogs.

All of them. All the time. The only exception would be if my legs weren't working (and honestly, I'd rather pull the dog than have somebody else show it).

We have done ok for ourselves.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM

Most of the people I know show their own dogs.

I don't, though. My knees are shot, and I absolutely cannot run around a ring, so my breeder/friend shows for me. Our specialty is next weekend, and she is going to run her fanny off in that huge ring!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have done both. I usually start my dogs, get a few points and experienceon them, then I hand them off to the handler who taught me many of the tricks and techneques that I use when showing. The dogs transition well and I feel that they can finish faster with the help of a good pro handler. A pro handler with years of experience will know more about the judges' preferences and therefore know which shows to go to and which ones to skip.

Since I am presently unable to run at all, I have to have a handler. I miss being able to do it for myself.

Last edited by Andaka; 05-13-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typos
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
I feel that they can finish faster with the help of a good pro handler.
That is most definitely true. It does take longer to finish a dog on your own (at least until you start being "seen"). I do feel, though, that with diligent study and even taking a chance on a judge (if for nothing else, learning what they will put up and what they won't) an owner handler can elevate themselves to the same level of expertise.

I keep a list of judges I've shown to, and write down what they like or don't like. I write down who I'll show to again with the dog I had, who I'd show to again, but would take a different style of dog to, and who I wouldn't show to ever again.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog

Last edited by Xeph; 05-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

We do our own. In the show and breed survey.

if we are doing more than 1 dog in a class, liek next weekend, and I am unable to go, we do get help for just the show ring. Gabor will still jump in and do the run off leash.

Since there are not a lot of shows and breed surveys, we have take multiple dogs, depending on needs and ages.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Sue, when Gabor handles the dogs do you double handle?

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa,

Not really. When he did Enzo at OG Indy, no double handling required. Other dogs, depends. I will not be in IL next weekend, so catching up with people to possibly call once or twice, if needed.

I will be doing the girls later this year and next...... :-)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Sue...we'll be there to assist (if needed).....I just hope the weather is decent.
Let Gabor know, that he is more than welcome to come eat & drink with us!...we always like to share!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Crowned Member

Wanted to be sure :-)

Robin and Carlos are helping us out so Gabor can bring both dogs. That is helping so much and allowing Gabor to get koers on both males (both need show ratings).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page