UKC-- Anyone show in it or familiar with UKC? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question UKC-- Anyone show in it or familiar with UKC?

I was wondering if anyone has shown in UKC or is familiar with UKC conformation and could give a description of it, how it differs from AKC, etc? I know they allow altered dogs, but I've heard different things like some people say they don't stack, etc... Are the types of dogs generally entered the same as in AKC (only American show line)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 PM

I do not believe along with many of my friends that the german shepherd is cared for in UKC. They will ruin the breed in the ones they have chosen to represent it and the breeding from those dogs.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
Are the types of dogs generally entered the same as in AKC
There are all types. German show lines, working lines, AmLines, Whites. They all seem to win pretty equally. I've seen some nice UKC Whites.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Master Member

I showed my dog in UKC quite a few years ago...don't know if it's any different now, but at that time there weren't many GSDs in UKC conformation. One major difference is, professional handlers are only allowed to show dogs they own or co-own. I don't remember much about the points, but do remember getting a U-Ch on Logan (American show x German show lines) in one weekend.

--Regina and the GSDs:
UCDX von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!) HGH, UD,RA,BN,GN, ASCA UD RAX High in Trial
PAM Monster Mike SchH2,UDX,OM1,TD,RE,VER
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM

If it is shown enough times in UKC, it will get the ch status and how does that help a breed prove breed worthiness?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherds6800 View Post
If it is shown enough times in UKC, it will get the ch status and how does that help a breed prove breed worthiness?
Well my dog's spayed, but I was thinking it might be fun to show her since she was originally supposed to be a show/Sch/breeding dog and had some conformation classes in her previous home...and UKC is the only club I know of that allowed spayed/neutered dogs to compete in conformation.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Then that would be great fun for your dog and you. That is the originally purpose for the club is for owners and their dogs to have fun without the presence of professional handlers. It was never meant to be a venue to prove breed worthiness.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
I was actually about to post something similar, as it looks like we will be attempting a UKC show next month, and my dogs aren't experienced, we JUST started teaching the stack to Panzer, and she is just so over-excited all the time she doesn't want to stand still, plus my husband and I have never been in the ring, so we figured it was worth the experience!

~Kristi in Virginia Beach
Mommy to my 8 year old son... and

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

I have breeds that I have to show UKC. No professional handlers are allowed, but I know some of those people do not own those dogs they are showing. And the judge will post a sign at the ring as to whether or not bait is allowed. Used to be it wasn't allowed, but I think most judges allow bait, now.

GSD specific stuff, I don't know. But it's not at stuffy as AKC, and you will be able to get more specific instruction from the ring steward or judge if nobody else is being helpful.

We have a lot of little UKC shows in my area and they are nice and quick.

Used to be you didn't have to stack your dog, either. But now everybody does, so it's really helpful if you want to be competitive.

Last edited by BlackPuppy; 08-03-2011 at 10:45 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherds6800 View Post
It was never meant to be a venue to prove breed worthiness.
That might have been true in the beginning, but you will find people take this very seriously. Some breeds only have the UKC, IABCA, and ARBA for conformation.

What is true is UKC wants to promote the TOTAL dog and not just conformation. And there is a lot of fun stuff going on at shows like the UKC Premier in Kalamazoo in June, like weight pull, dock diving, lure coursing and herding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page