judge's comments P me off - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

judge's comments P me off

After he awarded another judges girl BB and then BPIG, when she was the only puppy who was spooky and moved like ****, I went to ask him his opinion on Gemma, my 14 month old I have put pics here of.

WEll sit down, he said she should be spayed, will never finish, that she isn't at all what the breed should look like. He said she looked like a shepherd from 20 or 30 years ago, that she would have won easily back then. He said she obviously had great temperment, knew I wouldn't have her if she didn't. Said she could probably do what the breed was bred to do,that she was probably what the breed originator(his words) expected but that they don't want them able to do that any more. They are supposed to be long, and pretty, not functional, like BB dog( he said that)

He said the GS was the most genetically engineered of all breeds, I said I would have thought pugs or bulldogs and he said no GS's are and they used to look like Malinois and then were changed to look like today's BB and be totally non functional, they can no longer do what they were bred for.

Then he said if I watched what was winning I would see that only ones like BB's are doing any winning, so I asked about the day's special, Gemma's litter mate, and he said he has a terrible front moving like a puppy. So I said well he is a 14 month old puppy and has lots of Group placings and wins.

I can't believe a judge thought they should be unable to do what they were bred to do, I even said Gemma does herd, and is everything they should be, but no long legs, collie head, super long body, etc. How sad and kinda disillusionment for me, I had head other people's stories and thought well Can must be different, but this was a Can show and Can judge. Gemma has 7 points.

How sad for the breed that there are people who think this way. And that one judge showed his spooky Shepherd and they both thought that was OK. I will happily take my old fashioned pretty, functional girl over the other kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what's BB and BPIG?

I don't know if that was an AKC judge, but all they care about is looks and nothing more. They don't care about health or functionality or anything like that. Pretty much, if the dog is pretty, it can be bred - which I find very sad.

Also, you said it was another judge's dog he awarded. If it was one he knew very well and was a friend of, that's probably why.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

BB best of breed, BPIG best puppy in group, and yeah teh owner of said dog is a judge who lives about 10 min from the judge doing the judging who told me this after the day's judging was over. It is a CKC judge as we are in Canada. Gemma has 7 of total 10 points she needs and is only 14 months so there are some good judges who see her worth and her brother is number 11 Gs in the country at 14 months so not a bad one and like her can do what they are bred for and move correctly not legs everywhere and spooky temperment.

I just couldn't believe these comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
WEll sit down, he said she should be spayed, will never finish, that she isn't at all what the breed should look like. He said she looked like a shepherd from 20 or 30 years ago, that she would have won easily back then. He said she obviously had great temperment, knew I wouldn't have her if she didn't. Said she could probably do what the breed was bred to do,that she was probably what the breed originator(his words) expected but that they don't want them able to do that any more. They are supposed to be long, and pretty, not functional, like BB dog( he said that)
Unfortunately, I suspect that is the impression many judges get after attending GSD judges education. This judge almost sounds as though he was being sarcastic.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Just looked at pics of Gemma, and I'm no expert, but she's gorgeous, especially for being so young.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM

welcome to the world of conformation( Obviously if she has 7 points, she is impressing other judges, I would chalk this one up to "never show under again"..

Don't let it get you down, it happens all the time

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

People say things Its what you think that matters And if you and your dog enjoy showing then keep doing it-
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM

I echo Holland's comments, it's just one person's opinion, and keep showing if you enjoy it. Your dogs, both Ty and Gemma, are very good looking and since they have great temperaments, I would continue to show. Have you ever had them evaluated by an SV judge? You might get a totally different assessment. I realize you are going for points in the CKC but an SV show may be worth pursuing since they do take into account their confidence, temperment, and structure as well as how they look. Might be a confidence booster for you, just my 2 cents...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know much about the AKC Conformation venues..(I've only participated a few times).....but there is the same BS (perhaps more) in the German Style Conformation venues as well.
It gets more disappointing & soul breaking with each passing show, to watch the politics and favoritism that is handed to the wealthy or to those deemed "powerful".
My only advice is....*Get mentally stronger, breed & exhibit good dogs, continue portraying true sportsmanship & maintain your reputation*.....and NEVER let them see you cry! (that's what my husband tells me).
Judges are supposed to *evaluate* each dog (independently) against the breed standard and from the leash downward. Too often than not....they simply look at the leash upward, barely noticing the dog.
I refer to judges as *The Immortals*....because this is how many perceive themselves.
Thanks for letting me vent also....
Best wishes to you and your dog!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page