Professional Handlers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Professional Handlers?

Has anyone ever used a professional handler for confirmation shows and know how they work? (and how much they charge?)
I'm interested in using one just to shadow for a few shows until I know what I'm doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Hi Jaxs Mom

We show our 99% of the time but have used handlers when we felt it could give us an edge wth a judge. The fees for handlers vary from handler to handler but to walk in a ring with your pup you are probably you are looking at least $60 per day.That is for a ringside drop off, (where you hand your dog to the handler before they go in. Alot of all breed handlers in ontario do not handle shepherds and some that do , do not show them well. I see your from the toronto area, what shows are you looking to show at , i can recommend a few handlers and or show trainers for you. My wife does the showing for our kennel and i have been in the ring a number of times myself . It is very exciting to show your own dog and i wish you all the luck in your endeavour
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

What type of show?

For the German style shows, the handler fee is usually the entry fee plus tip if you want. For example, last time I used a handler my entry fee was $40 so I gave the handler $50 because he did a really good job with my dog. For the Sieger Shows, the handlers generally have their own fees that they will state.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

For now, just CKC confirmation shows.
$50-$60 sounds really reasonable. I'd like to do the training with him and eventually be the one showing him but don't want to detract from him with my bumbling around in the ring trying to figure things out.
He usually behaves better with new people than with me so he'd more than likely be better off without me at this point
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
It really depends on the handler. This is the rate sheet for Michael Lynch, who is in AL I believe
http://www.blackhawk-farms.com/pdf/B..._card_2010.pdf

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Interesting thread!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM

My sister uses a handler for AKC Boxer shows, and she's had great success with him. She pays all entry fees for her dogs and then pays her handler per day (plus tip). He charges more of course to kennel her dogs if he travels with them. In my opinion, the conformation world is very political and therefore having a known handler has it's ups and downs.

Nikki
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wasja v Haus Brezel "Kali"- July 2009
Noah (Golden Retriever) - March 2008
Lex (Tabby cat) - February 2006
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM

you are right about the conformation world being political , the 60 i quoted was just to walk in the ring, the owner is responsible for the entry fees . Now this is not including bonus' for group placements and such.The rates for the top handlers in the speciality shows , i have heard goes as high as a couple hundred dollars to walk in the ring. If you want to do well in a german shepherd specialty , it pays to have a ' face beside your dog'.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:04 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have been using the same handler for 25 years. She is great with the dogs and I have had a lot of success using her to show my dogs.

Fran and Kahla -- 1988

Fran's daughter Julia and Keno -- 1993

Fran and Tag -- 2007

Fran and Jag -- 2010
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 AM

I am looking for a German Shepherd handler in the Barrie area, anyone have any tips or leads on how to contact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page