First Show This Weekend - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

First Show This Weekend

I have never showed before and neither has my puppy. We have taken show handling classes and I think I am ready. I am so nervous.

I have a handler on stand by to take the leash should I happen to pee my pants or something.

I have worked really hard because I always had unregistered dogs and I did the BYB! I really want to build a good name and be a reputable person in german shepherds.

I have a great mentor who has been a wealth of valuable information.

I have been practicing and I am taking the step to jumping into the show ring.

Does anyone have any last minute tips? How do I get my nerves under control so that my puppy does not worry?

Here is a picture of the instructor stacking her and showing me how it is done. She is seven months old and other than the darn cat scratching her nose and the hairing coming in white she is solid black.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 AM

she's gorgeous!!

I dont have any last minute advice on the nerves,,I did the "ring thing" years ago, and I have to say, I was a nervous wreck in there also! Now, doing obed/agility, I was calm as a cucumber,,something about the conformation ring made me nerve up LOL..

Glad you have a handler on the side lines,,I used one the majority of the time, and it was definately a relief)

Good luck and let us know how she does!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
she's gorgeous!!

I dont have any last minute advice on the nerves,,I did the "ring thing" years ago, and I have to say, I was a nervous wreck in there also! Now, doing obed/agility, I was calm as a cucumber,,something about the conformation ring made me nerve up LOL..

Glad you have a handler on the side lines,,I used one the majority of the time, and it was definately a relief)

Good luck and let us know how she does!
Thank you! I will for sure let you know and post pictures and details. I want to brag now about doing things properly and getting away from the BYB!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Master Member

Oh my.... GOOD LUCK!!!!

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good luck, no matter what try to have some fun and enjoy your dog. Can't help with the nerves thing, the only way to get better is by doing more and more trials!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Your dog will be able to smell how nervous you are thru your breath. Take some peppermints with you to suck on before you go in. It will also give you nice minty breath for the judge.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Your dog will be able to smell how nervous you are thru your breath. Take some peppermints with you to suck on before you go in. It will also give you nice minty breath for the judge.
I will do that. Thank you!

She is such a good puppy and we are doing great in classes. So I guess the next logical step is the show. So Saturday and Sunday....we jump in.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM

How Gorgeous! And good luck this weekend!

Jan
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-- Mark Twain
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Relax, have fun, keep your eyes ahead of you or on the judge, be courteous to the others in the ring (if I'm first in line I always make sure to check the person to my left and ask if she's ready before we gait).
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Relax, have fun, keep your eyes ahead of you or on the judge, be courteous to the others in the ring (if I'm first in line I always make sure to check the person to my left and ask if she's ready before we gait).

Thank you. Useful tips that I probably would have forgotten. I am not sure who we are against or how many yet! Will find out more Saturday when I get my catelogue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page