Conditioning? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Conditioning?

Really not sure if this is the right place, sorry if it's not...

By conditioning, I mean getting a dog in top shape... Why don't GSD people who show do this? Why don't all show dog owners?

I guess I'm partial because APBTs are conditioned before going to a show, to show the dog's conformation and body at it's best... but most other breeds I see in show are average, don't even have a tuck going for them.

I think conditioning really shows the dog's body for what it is...
(yes, I have permission to use pics)

This is an APBT of average weight(not the best angle):

And conditioned:

Another example, the pics on the left are ADBA conditioned dogs... The middle is UKC, the right is AKC.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...cs/Top10s2.png
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...cs/Top10s3.png

Really no real POINT to the question, just something I've wanted other opinions on: Why don't many other breeds get in top condition before showing?

I mean, I've seen GSDs in amazing condition when they are working SchH or are K9 officers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

Because that's not what the judge wants. Some breeds are shown emaciated like the GSDs and some breeds are shown obese like Rotts and labs. Some breeds are shown in good shape like whippets. It all depends on what the breed judges want.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I used to roadwork my dogs all of the time. 3 days a week every week so that they had good muscle tone and stamina for long periods of gaiting. When I was younger I did it from a bicycle, then from a battery powered scooter. When we moved to the new house, Tag swam in the pool 3 days a week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Because that's not what the judge wants. Some breeds are shown emaciated like the GSDs and some breeds are shown obese like Rotts and labs. Some breeds are shown in good shape like whippets. It all depends on what the breed judges want.
I'm a little confused with your post... What do you mean some are shown emaciated, like GSDs? I have never seen an emaciated dog at any show...

Gorgeous pup, Andaka. Do you go off road with the bike? I would think it's better on the dog to work on natural ground rather than paved roads.

My personal opinion, and I'm only one person, is dogs of all breeds, or at least working breeds, should be shown in working condition... Can you see an overweight rottie pulling carts and herding all day?

If showing is to pick the best of each breed... how can you do that and ignore the breed's purpose?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe you need to take a closer look at the GSDs being shown and you find that they are shown very underweight. In no way is their condition considered healthy. I think the SV shows have even skinnier dogs than the AKC shows.

Working condition is something most AKC showline dogs can not reach considering how crippled so many of them are. It's a good thought though.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Could you find a couple of pics, or maybe a vid of what you're talking about?

I've seen thin, and overweight... But never neglectfully underweight... but I will be honest, I have not attended many shows where GSDs were prominent.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

It's not neglectfully underweight, it's deliberate. It's what the breed people want for the breed ring. You rarely see it in the dogs that are performance only.

I've been dog showing since the stone age and this is a trend that is a more recent development. I am so glad I don't show in breed; those people are crazy and most of them will agree

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

It sounds like, to me, when people try to skimp on conditioning a dog down to a show weight, and instead just cut back on food and end up with an underweight dog... I've seen it in shows. How people think it's better is beyond me... I'd rather see a chunky dog than an underweight dog.

I think it would be so neat to see dogs of all breeds conditioned at shows. I drool over ADBA ready dogs... lol

My dumb boy, who isn't even in that great of shape compared to many dogs I've met, is better looking in body condition than any GSD around here...

Guess I'm getting a bit off-topic. But overweight pets are a peeve of mine... When people's VETS, the ones who are supposed to know what's best, tell people their dog who's 10+ pounds over weight is fine, it really screws the dogs up.

Until very recently, the last couple of years, I thought that a sausage with legs was okay, because it's the norm and my vet always said it was okay.

Here is the dog he told me was fine for years.

After that pic, I got her to lose 20 pounds, and she could have still lost a bit... I always wonder if she would have had longer if I'd known sooner, she died from Bloat, though..

And of course my J monkey...

LOL I turned this into a fat rant..

Last edited by APBTLove; 06-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

In the WDA/SV ring the judges I've had lately *have* been picky about size and condition. Dogs have been moved farther back because of their condition (and likewise when a judge ignores this there are complaints from fanciers about the dog's poor condition). When Nikon has a show coming up I have DH jog him several miles a few times a week. At a show like the Sieger Show, the larger the class (often corresponding to the age of the dog), the more gaiting. The working class dogs might be all in the ring gaiting for an hour straight. It's pretty obvious who is in condition and who's not. When Nikon was in a Sieger Show he was only 7 months and *I* had to get in condition for all the double handling!

This is Nikon in show condition - ribs visible, nice tuck, well muscled (he's not yet two and his thighs are about 4" thick). In the photo he's 13 months and almost 70lbs.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Maybe you need to take a closer look at the GSDs being shown and you find that they are shown very underweight. In no way is their condition considered healthy. I think the SV shows have even skinnier dogs than the AKC shows.

Working condition is something most AKC showline dogs can not reach considering how crippled so many of them are. It's a good thought though.

I have yet to see an underweight dog that is showed in conformation shows. Don't confuse conditioned dogs over underweight. There is a big difference between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page