Dog shows.....Can I show my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog shows.....Can I show my dog?

I was thinking about show my Black GSD, Tanner. But he is from a shelter, he was brought in as a stray to the shelter, and is neutered. I know I have to get him registered first. But I would like to know all the details on what is allowed, what isn't. And what I have to do before I register him.

He is microchipped. He is a neutered, he is registered with SEACCA(for ownership) He was at the SPCA-LA in Long Beach. He is around 4 1/2 years old. I know alot of people have beautiful dogs, but alot of people say he is drop dead gorgeous, and don't believe he came from a shelter. People ask who his breeder is and who his parents were.Even if he can't be in dog shows, I will love him no matter what.

Here are some pics of Tanner:

I basically want to know what I would need to do to get involved. If there is any dog shows just for fun, that is great too. No I don't expect Tanner to be in a Westminister dog show.lol. I have always thought about getting into dog shows.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM

I would like to know the answer to this one too! Our dog's story is weird. He supposedly came from a breeder, but the owner's kid was allergic so they were giving him up. His 'breeder contract' said he's reg with CKC (worthless, I hear) but no certificates. When we called said breeder, she said he was part of a litter her friend had. Probably an accidental litter or BYB. Why she signed his breeder papers I don't know. Anyways, so I'm interested in these answers too. JessieWessie - I think we can agree that we'll love our dogs regardless of if we can show them or not!

Sorry, no useful info on this one...
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Dogs have to be registered in whatever registry you are wanting to show them in, for example if you want to show him in AKC then he would have to have full registration to participate in conformation shows. I can tell you now that since he IS neutered he cannot be shown in conformation shows. I know that you can get something called a ILP(?) from AKC so that you can participate in agility or rally, sports like this that AKC offers. I am not really familiar with this but you can go to AKC.org and find out more information. Hope this helps!

I just wanted to add: I think hes gorgeous!

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel

Last edited by emjworks05; 04-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana72805 View Post
I would like to know the answer to this one too! Our dog's story is weird. He supposedly came from a breeder, but the owner's kid was allergic so they were giving him up. His 'breeder contract' said he's reg with CKC (worthless, I hear) but no certificates. When we called said breeder, she said he was part of a litter her friend had. Probably an accidental litter or BYB. Why she signed his breeder papers I don't know. Anyways, so I'm interested in these answers too. JessieWessie - I think we can agree that we'll love our dogs regardless of if we can show them or not!

Sorry, no useful info on this one...

Well we will both get our answers lol.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

This link will give you the info that you need: American Kennel Club - Dog Registration Questions

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

All I know about is AKC (American Kennel Club). To be registered by AKC, both parents have to be AKC registered or your dog has to have a foreign registration.

To show in conformation-type shows, such as Westminster, a dog would have to be AKC registered. To compete in AKC performance events such as agility, obedience, rally or tracking, a dog must be registered or have an ILP (Indefinite Listing Priviledge) number. To get an ILP you must send in photos of your dog from both the side and the front and have a vet's certificate proving the dog was spayed or neutered. The AKC has also recently admitted mixed breed dogs to be able to compete in the companion events such as obedience. I don't have any info on that program, but it is on the website.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

He cannot participate in conformation shows because #1 he is neutered and #2 he is not registered, and can't get full registration with an unknown background.

However he could compete in any performance event such as obedience, tracking, agility, rally, etc... by obtaining ILP/PAL registration through whichever organization you wish to compete in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Not to sound rude, but I think I remember saying, I know he won't be in Westminster or any other big name dog show.

Tanner really doesn't care much for toys and agility stuff. He is very protective. Maybe schutzland may be good.Idk about that. I signed him up for Animal Assisted Therapy, but when they had to assess him, he didn't pass. When they brought in another dog, he barked(once, I quickly corrected him.) He also couldn't stay for 30 seconds. He whined, and ran very fast too me. He likes to be with people, and be the center of attention.

Any competitions like that?lol.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
Not to sound rude, but I think I remember saying, I know he won't be in Westminster or any other big name dog show.
It doesn't matter, there are not different levels of registration based on the size of the shows. The bottom line is to compete in ANY conformation show he must have AKC full registration, and as Chris pointed out he is not eligible for that.

The UKC has an altered class and I have shown in it, but I'm not sure what the criteria are. I show a fully registered (AKC and UKC) female that was a UKC Champion before she was altered. I think you still need full UKC registration (which requires full or limited AKC registration, which Tanner is ineligible for).

You could always take ring training classes with him and borrow someone else's dog or get a new dog to show. I've practiced ring training with dogs I don't show.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The UKC has an altered class and I have shown in it, but I'm not sure what the criteria are.
The dog still has to be fully registered with UKC.

Last edited by tkarsjens; 04-14-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page