Coat Thickener? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Coat Thickener?

My Willow has such a sparse coat. I noticed that it has gotten thinner over the winter time, so that now her legs have a thin fur covering it. When I lift it, the undercoat is still there, but it too looks extremely thin. She's healthy otherwise, nothing in her food has changed (to prompt the coat change). Bright coat otherwise, sparkly eyes, needs a dental app (set up for June), but otherwise, she's a healthy girl.

Any tips for getting a thicker coat?

I looked at some show products but weren't sure which ones actually work.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

Re: Coat Thickener?

I'd check thyroid levels to rule that out (low thyroid levels often affect coat), then adjust her diet; anything applied topically (shampoos, coat conditioners etc) are more about 'fluffing' what's there than improving growth.

Foods that are higher in fats & proteins may help her coat production - how old is she? spayed/intact? (coat loss is common with heat).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I like foods with cold water fish (salmon, etc.) in them for coat production. Omega-3 fatty acids are important for the overall health of the dog, and that alone can improve coat.

But you can help some from the outside -- a good conditioner can help moisturize the skin and help the coat grow as well. Daily brushing can improve blood circulation to the skin and thereby help the coat too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

This will be short - in the midst of bathing/packing etc for the Sunflower cluster.

But I just wanted to thank you both for the ideas.

I picked up the salmon and will make it a point to find a good conditioner. We'll start it when we get back on Sunday evening. I'll probably ask you about specific products in this thread, sometime next week.

And I'll have her thyroid levels checked if we don't see an improvement over the next couple of months. She will be 4 years old, intact (but not in season).

Thanks again!

Angela

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

This doesn't do anything to help grow the coat, but I have some and it makes an out of coat dog look pretty good, and shiny!
Plush Puppy Volume Cream

I have some in a spray bottle mixed with water. I'll spray it on while the coat is dry to dampen it, leave it on for a minute or two, then blow dry. I tried applying to a wet coat once at home, and I couldn't get the dog to dry, it was taking forever! Thankfully I didn't have a show that day!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Lindsay!

Angela

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Does anyone know anything about a supplement called Showstopper? Someone was talking with me about it at the Cluster...

Angela

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Skip it, not worth the money

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Jackie! She almost had me talked into buying it right then and there! LOL

Angela

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Knighted Member

I will disagree with jackie on the Show Stopper. It is an excellent product and used by a LOT by german show line owners. I have seen it make a HUGE difference in the coats of some dogs. I know a few working line folks who use it as well, when they aren't using the Super Fuel.

I use the K9 SuperFuel which has a side effect of excellent coat. If I didn't use the Super Fuel I would use the Show Stopper.

As with any supplement, and thoughts of improving coat condition, you have to treat the dog from the inside out. Diet is the main issue other than thyroid when dealing with skin and coat.

I know a few folks who feed a less than quality kibble, and use the Show Stopper, with great success, as well.

~Dee
It's all fun and games until the freakin' flyin' monkeys attack

V Gipsi Vom Sawtooth SchH3 IPO3 KKL1 HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page