Conformation gear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Conformation gear

I swear this will be my last thread about this!

I was going to get a braided kangaroo lead b/c I saw one that looked SO cool, but then I decided for a GSD, something understated like all black and no beads would be best. The price for custom braiding something so plain just wasn't worth it.

So I think I'm going with a "regular" leather lead. I found this site: http://www.a1leach.com

I'm looking at the Premium Show Leash. Would a 6' be good? This is for UKC.

Now for collars, I was thinking of getting a black 5/16" rolled leather with the gold colored hardware rather than the hex chain type. I just don't like the chains and I can always use a simple leather slip collar in many other contexts. But I also really like martingales. Is that OK for a GSD in the ring? I would get their black rolled leather 5/16" with the gold colored chain?

Does this stuff look decent? I don't need super top quality, I don't plan on showing my dog every weekend or anything like that. I was drawn to this site b/c they also sell the fake leather (ASAT, biothane, whatever it's called) and I wanted to get a tracking line in that, so it would be nice to get working and show supplies in the same place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Conformation gear

They look great to me. Though I would go with an 8 foot leash. Better to be a little longer than you might need than too short.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM

Why do you want a martingale for a gsd? I have one for Charlie because he would get spooked and back out of his collar. He likes to pull and now his throat sounds like crap. He coughs, hacks and gags. Sounds like I damaged his throat real bad. He also has trouble barking as well. I wouldn't use the martingale if I had a choice.

Jennifer

Charlie, CGC- 4/22/01- Sheltie
Wally, CGC- 10/23/08- Sheltie
Lily- 07/16/10-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I like how they sit on the head better than the choke. I hate the fine chain chokes (don't care about the looks, I just hate using them). The flat or rolled leather is OK, but I still prefer the martingale b/c it feels more symmetrical. Also for a puppy I'd rather use a martingale than a choke.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM

In my experience with Charlie the martingale is alot better than the choke. I had a choke collar for him that lasted maybe 2 minutes. I don't know if the martingale screwed up his throat or just another problem/illness he has. I just wanted to let you know about the problems I've had with Charlie. I would hate to have something hurt Nikon just simply because I didn't tell you my experience. I guess to answer your question that martingale looks nice to me.

Jennifer

Lily- 07/16/10-GSD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

What is a kangaroo lead?

Jennifer

Lily- 07/16/10-GSD
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It's kangaroo leather instead of regular leather, usually they are braided with 2, 4, 6, or 8 strands so you can have fancy patterns and beads. I'm told that the price and quality of the leather is not much different, so with kanga leads you are paying a premium for custom work. Since I want solid black and no embellishments, it's not really worth it. An 8 strand, 6' kanga lead would cost me around $100.

Many problems with regular use of chokes is that the material is crappy and doesn't release correctly, or the choke is put on backwards and doesn't release. If I use a choke on a puppy like Nikon I would fit it so it's leashed on a dead ring anyway (same way Fursavers are used in the SV ring). I like the Martingale b/c it gives a tighter fit without the choke/release since it can only tighten so far. I've just never seen a show martingale used on a GSD so I don't know if it's kosher, so to speak. The dogs themselves have a lot of ring training so they can gait with or ahead of the handler but aren't actually pulling and choking themselves on their lead.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

The martingale will be fine. Probably the 6 foot leed also. I use that length in AKC shows.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I talked to some more show/handler people last night and I've decided to get a 4' lead, rolled leather choke, hex chain snake choke (gold), and the rolled leather martingale. I showed them a thin leather lead I already have that's 6' and they said it would be fine if I needed a longer lead, and reminded me that the UKC rings are typically very small, especially for most of the shows I'll be attending. They didn't seem to like the martingale idea, but these were not GSD people and I think they were thinking I mean those shoelace martingale leads like this:

So I'm still going to buy one and see if I like it. We're heading off to the pet store in a bit so I can figure out Nikon's size.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

Lies,

So - what did you end up getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page