Conditioning Tips/Tricks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Conditioning Tips/Tricks?

Care to share your conditioning tips/tricks?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Re: Conditioning Tips/Tricks?

I used to use a bicycle to roadwork my dogs. I lived in a quiet subdivision at the time, and would wait for the kids to go to school and parents to work so that I would have the roads to myself.

I have since graduated to a scooter.

Always start slow then build distance. Conditioning ddoesn't happen overnight, and you can hurt your dog if you try to go too fast.

Fetch games, and playing with other dogs are also good ways to improve conditioning.

I usually roadwork 3 days a week, and play on the other days. Crosstraining helps to prevent boredom.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Fetch and herding Saluki

Victoria & Jedi ITD CGC
Dream Dogz
Training & Behavior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

this is a great topic because I have wondered too. I have heard conflicting opinions and worry I will do too much or not enough. I have started agility but limit all jumps to 10" as he is 10 months and I want to teach him to go with my bike in the spring, but I haven't ridden in years and don't want to be pulled off. I also have heard to only go at a trot or fast walk and that he shouldn't be on pavement. I also play fetch in the yard with my uneven yard with steps and hills and also at the school yard with the same landscape issues. I worry about too much strain but he has to exercise.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Swimming and Hiking.

If your dog is reliable, off leash wood romping in the woods is EXCELLENT. We live "in the hills" of PA, not quite the mountains but.... My guys spend their summers in the river, pond or reservior and running/hiking in the woods. They also get to go herding a couple times each summer.

Swimming will REALLY tone up a Shepherd in no time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

I just let them run in the woods outside. and we have a few open grassy fields, not huge, but there nice for fetch and the occasional chipmunk or other rodent to hunt. Buddy isn't really a killer. she has chased chipmunks but never actually kills them, and a lot of times she has them trapped and could kill them but she just walkes away. she loses interest. but wini we had her for 1 week and she had already killed a mole or was it a groundhog?? Then she layed on the ground a procceded to eat it. I really think she is going to be a KILLER!!!! lol!! (we didn't really let her eat the entire groundhog or whatever it was.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page