Full Hip Replacement Recovery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Full Hip Replacement Recovery

Hello everyone.
Our beautiful rescue 14 month GS has just this week had a full hip replacement. She is a particularly nervous girl given her history. It breaks my heart when I look at her as she hasn't worked out yet that the operation was for her benefit. She means everything to me and I'd really appreciate advice in how to make sure the next few weeks are as stress free as possible. She is in a confined space, with us 24/7- either me or my husband are with her (we have moved into the garden office to keep her on one level). She had the op on Monday, it is now Friday and although she has successfully had a wee, she hasn't had a poo, which really worries me. She is on tramadol, paracetamol, metacam and calmers (not all at once!)
Any advice/stories to share please?
Thank you so much! x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Surgeries can be stressful for both dogs and their people, try to focusing on the end result and her improved mobility. Dogs pick up on our stress so try to be upbeat as much as as possible. I would contact your vet or surgeon about the constipation, home remedies like canned pumpkin have there limits, I would call the vet and ask what they think.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

It's best to phone the vet regarding a laxative as you don't want potential or unwanted drug interactions or problems with the medication she is on. Make the effort not to be anxious, stressed or worried - hard I know, but she'll pick up on your emotions before you register what or how you're feeling. Smiling is your face telling your brain you are happy, so smile a lot.

My dog was less stressed during his recovery from elbow surgery at 9 months, when he was out of his crate. I got to read for hours in a comfortable chair, with him lying at my feet. The only exercise he had for the first 6 weeks was going out to potty on a leash. After the first couple of weeks, we would very carefully lift him into and out of the car and take him for a drive, car windows partially down, to give him an outing and his nose and brain a workout.

I know how you're tempted to feel, it sounds like you both are doing a wonderful job in her care and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

I'm assuming the surgery itself went well so maybe to help with smiling, as Dunkirk pointed out it does change how our dogs perceive a situation, when you look at her think about how gorgeous she is and wonderfully mobile she is going to be.

I hope she has a good recovery and rehab is easy on her and you.

Edit: the only advise that I can offer is that Dh and I have decided to ask our friends and family not to come over for the first week if our boy does go in for surgery. It will reduce the chances/lessen the risk of our guy getting excited.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 06-14-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page