What should I do - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Is your whole house slippery, OP? It's a really good point about the slippery surface. It would be especially bad for this pup who obviously has more challenges than the average pup. Might even be worth some traction socks for him so he might be able to move more naturally which might help him develop a little better.
Yes it is, I never thought of that. Ok I'll grab some of those ASAP and maybe get a runner for the hard surfaces in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chienchaud View Post
Photos of sire and dam
Interesting, so looks like west German showline but neither parent seems to have very extreme angulation or roach in the topline...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is your whole house slippery, OP? It's a really good point about the slippery surface. It would be especially bad for this pup who obviously has more challenges than the average pup. Might even be worth some traction socks for him so he might be able to move more naturally which might help him develop a little better.
Yes it is, except one carpet. I will go buy some socks and maybe a runner for the floor, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

I'll try the boots and maybe get a runner. Thank you
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

Looks like extreme angulation and cow hocked to me. Do you have the actual pedigree for him?

I just had this conversation with a breeder about a puppy that came from them. Growing VERY fast, large for his age, extreme angulation and cow hocked. Was told that the ones with extreme angulation are often cow hocked and that it's also a product of insufficient exercise.
Sabis mom likes this.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Knighted Member

Ahh, but exercise should be on a natural surface, not thos slick tiled floors. If it were me, I'd wait on the Vet's recommendation. No supplements, no HUGE changes in exercise (except for making the majority of it on natural surfaces!). Puppies are often awkward looking...give it time, hear back from the Vet, before making any HUGE changes in your puppy's day.

That being said, he's definitely got structural issues that you'll have to deal with...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Most of it is. I went out and bought socks this evening and I will buy a runner for the floor tomorrow. I never thought of that but it makes sense
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Looks like extreme angulation and cow hocked to me. Do you have the actual pedigree for him?

I just had this conversation with a breeder about a puppy that came from them. Growing VERY fast, large for his age, extreme angulation and cow hocked. Was told that the ones with extreme angulation are often cow hocked and that it's also a product of insufficient exercise.
In both horses and dogs being cow hocked is most often genetic. I have never heard it linked to lack of exercise. Depending on the severity of it on it's own it seldom seems to cause issues. I was concerned about Shadow with her other issues, and was assured it was fine.
Most grade quarter horses are cow hocked and they dominate the working ranch horse set.

That said the OP's pup clearly has structural issues, to some extent he may grow into himself but this is a puppy I would be very diligent with. Correct nutrition, proper weight, careful exercise and heck yes get him off those slick surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page