hip dysplasia diagnosis / pet insurance - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdforever850 View Post
I called Healthy Paws to get some more information and just wanted to pass along some more information. If your dog is less than six years old, it's okay to just send in the results of his/her latest annual exam AS LONG AS it was taken within the last 12 months before you signed up.

Yes, the policy documents allow this but IMHO it's not a smart thing to do. Vagueness in the record tends to help any insurer, not you. This is true of ANY insurance -- life insurance and disability insurance too!

At that annual, your vet didn't know he needed to make a record for pet insurance. He may or may not have made comprehensive notes about everything checked -- including an ortho exam which is not part of most annual exams for healthy dogs! What I did was different: it was an "extra" exam at my cost, with ortho, for the purpose of creating a comprehensive, accurate record that would foreclose any arguments about pre-existing conditions. I explained this to the vet, and he prepared the record truthfully, with the insurance company in mind (not just a quick internal record for the clinic's use). He was happy to do it, and glad I explained the purpose of it all so that he could ensure the record would accomplish would I wanted it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
I hate to break it to you, but they absolutely will not cover anything related to hip dysplasia if it is noted in a chart anywhere that her xrays show she has mild hip dysplasia. It simply does not matter if she is symptomatic or not right now. If your vet said she has dysplasia, itís not going to be covered.

Exactly, get a copy of the contract and read it, it is the best way to get the real policy info. What they say to you over the phone means nothing. Calling Healthy paws and asking questions is like calling Healthcare.gov. Non licensed phone reps. I can guarantee you this is a pre existing situation based on what you have posted.

If you have a bad EKG and you have no symptoms and than get a heart attack its pre existing. Same goes in your case especially with Xrays and a diagnosis from your vet. Ask your vet for copies of every appointment you ever had and look em over. If the bill is large enough they will call your vet and explore.

Its a possibility you can get this through. With that being said, based on what you are hopefully trying to accomplish, I would not be posted this in a public forum.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page