how does these look - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

how does these look

We had Zeldas hips and elbows x-rays done yesterday. Vet wouldn't give any opinion on how they look just that they were submitted to OFA today. Any thoughts on how they look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im46937134.1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	512839   Click image for larger version

Name:	im81064118.2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	512841   Click image for larger version

Name:	im52994786.3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	512843  

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

No Thoughts??? I am not looking for a rating, just a those look like they will pass or fail.

My daughter wants to start training more for agility, dock diving, and fast cats, just want to make sure it doesn't look like it will hurt her to start.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

I don't know how to read them for OFA, but things like femoral remodeling, subluxations, super shallow sockets would be obvious to most here. I personally do not see anything like that, but I am not a vet or a radiologist.

Even if they showed dysplasia (which I don't beleive they do) the saying is treat the dog, not the xray. A lot of dysplastic dogs do not show symptoms and lead full active lives, but if you looked at their xray you would not think it.

I would have asked the vet about allowed activity, not so much about the results. Also, did you get these done because something was worrying you? Or just toget her rated?
JessicaR and stevreb07 like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Not worried per say, though with the high incidence of HD in GSD's it was always in the back of my mind, especially since Zelda loves to jump. So I didn't want to really do a lot of agility or running with her until I was sure it was safe for her.

I am kind of upset with the vet and really considering finding a new one. They didn't even talk to me when I picked her up, (they went to lunch) the receptionist just brought her out and told me things to watch for after being under anesthesia. I had to call and ask for a copy of the x-rays, and asked about what the vet thought about them. I just got she never said anything to me so I would assume there is nothing concerning, we will call when we get the results in from OFA.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Not worried per say, though with the high incidence of HD in GSD's it was always in the back of my mind, especially since Zelda loves to jump. So I didn't want to really do a lot of agility or running with her until I was sure it was safe for her.

I am kind of upset with the vet and really considering finding a new one. They didn't even talk to me when I picked her up, (they went to lunch) the receptionist just brought her out and told me things to watch for after being under anesthesia. I had to call and ask for a copy of the x-rays, and asked about what the vet thought about them. I just got she never said anything to me so I would assume there is nothing concerning, we will call when we get the results in from OFA.
When they get the results? YOU should be the one to get the results. What is the receptionist talking about?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Elite Member

I am a retired nurse, have a strong interest in osteology (bones) have looked at thousands of hip x-rays since getting my first registered GSD, and those hips look good to me ! The coverage of the ball joint by the socket is good, the bone fits snugly into the socket (no subluxation) and the vet knew what he was doing when it came to positioning the dog properly for the x-ray. (Pelvis level, both legs turned in and parallel to one another, kneecaps showing in x-ray.) The sockets COULD be a little deeper, but the x-ray isn't all that clear, so I am having trouble telling just where the line is on the femur bone that marks the edge of the socket.

I am not sure how to read elbow x-rays, but am guessing those will pass.
JessicaR and stevreb07 like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
When they get the results? YOU should be the one to get the results. What is the receptionist talking about?
Honestly I don't know, they said they haven't done OFA's in a long time so maybe she is just assuming they will get something from OFA. Zelda's breeder told me I should get the results in 2-3 weeks.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Elite Member

Yes, the results should be mailed to you, not the vet. 2-3 weeks-your breeder is correct.
JessicaR likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Honestly I don't know, they said they haven't done OFA's in a long time so maybe she is just assuming they will get something from OFA. Zelda's breeder told me I should get the results in 2-3 weeks.
You can check the OFA site as well. It might be listed before you get the results back.
JessicaR likes this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Got the results today. Elbows normal hips borderline. paper says slight subluxation, slight shallow acetabula and unilateral pathology left. I talked to my vet she doesn't agree with the rating she feels they are fair to good. I don't know if it made a difference or not but she did go into heat 2 weeks after the x-rays were done, I did see on the ofa sight they dont recommend x-rays a month before or for a month after a heat cycle. the only thing I can do I guess is have them redone in 6 months and resubmitted.
What is everyones thought on training for agility, should we hold off? Vet says she should be fine, but I don't want to make things worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page