how does these look - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 AM
Elite Member

Jessica, my older female was diagnosed with mild subluxation on one side, and failed her OFA. The minute I saw the x-ray, I knew it likely wasn't going to pass.

It has never stopped her from doing anything I wanted to do with her, including the A-frame and jump for IPO. She's 11 now and has never had a lame day in her life!
JessicaR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 AM

If you're planning to breed I would resubmit. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Had a male that was mild in the right hip. Trialed him to multiple Schutzhund 3, worked him until he was 8. Never showed any lameness. Keep her at proper weight and active. Inactivity will make things worse. Be sensible.
Sunsilver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:12 AM

If she's not showing any lameness, I would recommend continuing what you are doing (if that is agility, go for it!) My girl hasn't had her prelims done yet since she was diagnosed with SAS and the vet is uncomfortable sedating her for the xrays. I will have them done when she's being spayed. They did some crude xrays while she was awake and just recommended some Dasequin supplements for one of her hips that seems less than perfect. She has shown no lameness and I don't intend to breed her defect.

Were these prelims?

I know people that have had females come up borderline on prelims but come back OFA Good at the 2 year mark. I think it really depends on who interprets the x-rays. If you don't plan to breed, I wouldn't worry. I'd resubmit if you did plan to breed. Those 2 weeks before her cycle could have impacted the rating, but again, I wouldn't' worry too much unless you were planning to breed.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

yes prelims she is 19 months. I will be having them redone just for peace of mind. She has never shown any sign of lameness in that leg, except for the time she injured it running into a 2 inch diameter tree in her attempt to port round it lol

Not for breeding, my daughter wants to get involved with agility dock diving and fast cats, we just didn't want to put her through it if she has bad hips. She will still be getting her daily walks, she drives me nuts if she doesn't get them, I am just recovering from a sprained ankle so she hasn't been getting as much exercise as she is used to it has been a long couple of weeks lol
Sunsilver likes this.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

" we just didn't want to put her through it if she has bad hips."

She doesn't have bad hips so you are OK on this...

For other folks reading this --- If she did have bad hips, if the hips don't bother the dog, "put her through it" if she likes it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

I have heard of dogs that didn't pass OFA when the prelims were done. Then they were done again at 2, and were borderline. When the dog was re-xrayed later in its life (forget the reason why!) OFA said the hips were now good!

So, don't despair! Things can change as the dog grows and matures.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
I have heard of dogs that didn't pass OFA when the prelims were done. Then they were done again at 2, and were borderline. When the dog was re-xrayed later in its life (forget the reason why!) OFA said the hips were now good!

So, don't despair! Things can change as the dog grows and matures.
My breeder said the same thing. She recommends I go to the vet she uses , says he is very good. She had hers done at her regular vet and it came back mild (prelims) had this other vet redo them and she came back fair. When she showed me the x-rays this other vet did I was amazed with how much clearer they looked than mine. The only problem is this vet is a 3 hour 15 minute drive from where I live, which is totally doable but will be rough with 4 year old child.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page