3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By GypsyGhost
  • 1 Post By CometDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Position Matters!

Check first Xray. 13 months old. Subluxated right, does not look good. Left looks ok. Notice that right femur and right thigh outline look thicker on the right too. Why? Because dog was rolled to the left when the Xray was taken. That, in combination with being young and loose and under anesthesia resulted in a "floating hip" and inaccurate xray.

Second Xray. Also under sedation, dog is now almost 14 months. Was done by another vet experienced in SV submissions. Works extensively with breeders. Hence knows his stuff. Used proper positioning.

I think by 2nd Xray we will at least see "good". Would like to see a bit more of a "C" around those femoral heads.

First xray looked like dog was headed for disaster, was told pull him from IPO path. 2nd Xray will most likely get clearance to breed (not in the plans though)

Thoughts? Discussions? Analysis? Maybe it was combo of less than perfect positioning with the dog being under age 1?

Regardless of the ultimate grade, 1st xray looks like doo doo hip on one side. Research your vets and their knowledge of positioning before investing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFA1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	510141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Redacted.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	510143  

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

I think the left side will be fair to mild.
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I think the left side will be fair to mild.
I agree. Not great coverage. I’d say fair. No matter the grade, he should be fine to continue on in IPO.
CometDog likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Vet said good to fair on left, right side good. But we will see. Fair is fine too. For this dog, quality of life and being able to do sport and other activities is what matters. I'd like to see a deeper C on that left for sure. My point is, big difference from 1st xray. 1st xray looks like a TPO candidate, which ironically is in fact the better hip. You also have the factor of a rather fast growing over standard height dog that hit 27" before 11 months old. He could tighten up a little more. Swimming, walks and hikes up hills, no forced jumping until 18 months.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I wonder how much incredibly fast growth contributes to these things too.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page