Just wanting to make sure her joints are good for distance running - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By DaBai
  • 1 Post By RoseW
  • 2 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Just wanting to make sure her joints are good for distance running

She is almost 2 yo, 50lbs, and just had x rays done. She is a bit cow hocked, and sometimes run like a rabbit. We are currently doing 5-7k(3-4miles) 2-4 times per week, but I want to move onto 5-15k(4-10miles) 2-4 times per week. Vet said her joints are all normal so I am happy. Just want some second opinions here to make sure before I increase to the more serious mileage Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hips.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	504177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lelbow.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	504185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relbow.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	504193   Click image for larger version

Name:	32293770_1966474747002269_3067506835834535936_o.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	504201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

^^^specifically, something I am concerned about is that her knees don't look like they fit? Like there is a large gap in between her upper and lower legs and the knee edges don't seem to to aligned. But the vet checked the knees and think they are normal. I am a total noob at this, lol, what do you guys think?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 PM

I don't know about the knees,sorry.I'm assuming you mean walking/hiking and mostly on grass?Pavement is not good for animal or human joints.Not good for a dog's pads either.If you meant running, those distances sound excessive and unhealthy for your dog.That's my two cents anyway
DaBai likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I don't know about the knees,sorry.I'm assuming you mean walking/hiking and mostly on grass?Pavement is not good for animal or human joints.Not good for a dog's pads either.If you meant running, those distances sound excessive and unhealthy for your dog.That's my two cents anyway
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I do realize running long distance with GSD is a controversial topic, I found this early thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...companion.html and it seems some people think running 100 miles per week is ok for GSDs while others think more than 3miles at a time is too much.

I guess I will just go and see how she does and monitor her physical condition at all times, thanks for voicing your concerns
dogma13 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Elite Member

I would ask what kind of running? Surface/terrain, slow jog or fast runs? Hills?

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:58 PM

That space between the femur and tibia represents the joint capsule.
carmspack likes this.

Rose
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I would ask what kind of running? Surface/terrain, slow jog or fast runs? Hills?
Slow longer run on a combination of surfaces and short faster runs on pavement. A little bit hill every now and then. Nothing crazy just 2 to 4 times per week when the weather is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseW View Post
Yeah haha. I bugged my trainer and she told me to not worry about this as well. Guess I got over anxious from all the joint problems I read here, lol.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

10 continuous miles is a lot. Even when we do the AD (20KM/12.5 miles) we have a couple of breaks. A couple of shorter runs during the week (your 4 miles isn't much for a sound GSD) and 1 longer should be fine, but with a couple of breaks. Would not be unusual for a herding dog to work for many hours at a continuous trot, with some breaks, during a working day. The GSD, though, was designed to trot those distances and not run.
dogma13 and DaBai like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseW View Post
condoyles - gristly capsule (think of the white knobs of the chicken thigh and drumstick- plus
bands of elastic connective tissue - ligaments and tendons

looks pretty normal
DaBai likes this.

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page