Sad mama, got the dreaded HD diagnosis - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Sad mama, got the dreaded HD diagnosis

My 7 mo old german shepherd was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Here are Rocco's x-rays... he went in for limping, he was diagnosed with mild pano and moderate hip dysplasia. I've been trying to read up and the posts do seem optimistic but also having the morbid curiosity of worse case scenario. We paid a pretty penny for him to have parents with both certified hips so it's disheartening to get this diagnosis so early. I know there are no guarantees based on parents but we've been so careful with lean diet, no strenuous exercise, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abdomen-Lateral-R#3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	475474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

My handsome boy (before both ears went up!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25542370_10106496887088053_3740624533070325887_o.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	475482  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 PM

my sister had two rescued boarder collies with mild HP. She still did agility with them. Of course they didn't pull first place since she didn't work them hard in practice, but they still had a good active life.

I hope you and your pup prosper.
Sabis mom and VTBunny like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

You should go talk to an ortho and find out your options. Your dog is still a pup so you have more options than a THR.
VTBunny likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Master Member

Obvious question: Did you talk to breeder? I'd be quite upset if I paid for a healthy dog that did not turn out healthy. And this isn't a 9yo dog, it's a 7mo puppy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 12:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Obvious question: Did you talk to breeder? I'd be quite upset if I paid for a healthy dog that did not turn out healthy. And this isn't a 9yo dog, it's a 7mo puppy
A breeder can only control so much. Better to go in, level headed, with less emotions.
VTBunny likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

There is so much backmassing on a couple of WGSL dogs who had poor hips today, that this is all too common....getting nice hips is really a roll of the dice IMO even with the first couple of generations certified when there is heavy backmassing on a dog like Jeck Noricum for example....

Keeping him lean, with good diet and supplements can work wonders for the day to day life of the pup....

Good luck!

Lee
carmspack and VTBunny like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 AM
Crowned Member

Right now out of 7 dogs, I have 3 with hip dysplasia. 2 were caught when young enough for me to opt for surgery, which I did. One I had no choice because he dislocated his hip and the second hip was on its way to dislocating. I am not one to put dogs under for no reason, but there was no way that I was going to take the chance of having to put them down at 8 or 9 because they couldn't walk and surgery wasn't an option due to age. They are active dogs, not being able to move around and run and play would drastically reduce their quality of life. My senior that is 13 and not a GSD decided not to be able to walk one day a few months ago, I thought it was the end. I never expected HD with her, threw me off completely. She has never been a super active dog like the other two. She is on adequan and CBD oil and now doing much better. I am putting the two that had surgery on adequan too. My goal was as soon as I got my senior on the once a month but I ran into issues with a very sick kitty that costed a lot of money and didn't make it. So now I have to wait a little longer but they are still on the younger side.it will be a year instead of 6 months. The stuff is expensive when you first start it, but it seems to work and work well.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
I have not yet, I'm going to email them today. Our contract states that they will replace the puppy within 2 years for "severe" hip dysplasia. I don't want another puppy. Yes, a refund would be nice (we paid $3,500 plus another $400 to have him crate trained) and then invested another $600 in their training facility so yes, this is disheartening but I know it happens so I can't blame them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
A breeder can only control so much. Better to go in, level headed, with less emotions.
Yes, we knew there was a risk, even with the guarantee. We tried to follow all of the suggestions on exercise, weight, etc to do our part but still happens. This is no fault of the breeder but definitely would pay top dollar like we did in the future if we ever buy another dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page