Hip Dysplasia X-Rays Opinions Needed! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By carmspack
  • 6 Post By carmspack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Hip Dysplasia X-Rays Opinions Needed!

We adopted Shelby, our German Shepherd, a little over a year ago from a rescue. She has more food allergies than I can count and has already had to face so many challenges in her short life. Unfortunately, she was just diagnosed with hip*dysplasia*at 2 years old. Our vet has recommended we consider surgical repair and begin meeting with orthopedic surgeons. Shelby rarely shows any symptoms such as pain, slowness getting up from laying position, avoidance of stairs, etc.. In fact, she does not appear to have any limitations at all and outwardly appears to be a normal, happy and healthy dog.*There have been a couple of times where her back left leg has seemed a little sore but the pain has never lasted*very long*and she has never let it slow her down. In addition to the occasional soreness, a couple of weeks ago she slid on some wet grass causing her to limp for a couple hours, but the pain seems to have passed completely*since then.

Questions:
How bad do the hips look?**
What can we expect as she gets older?**
Has anyone had a puppy close to this condition at this age?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Knighted Member

If you can post the xrays I'm sure there are folks in this forum that can evaluate them...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyPtheGSD View Post
We adopted Shelby, our German Shepherd, a little over a year ago from a rescue. She has more food allergies than I can count and has already had to face so many challenges in her short life. Unfortunately, she was just diagnosed with hip*dysplasia*at 2 years old. Our vet has recommended we consider surgical repair and begin meeting with orthopedic surgeons.
Questions:
How bad do the hips look?**
What can we expect as she gets older?**
Has anyone had a puppy close to this condition at this age?
I really doubt that anyone would evaluate hip x-rays in an Internet forum even if you were in a forum for veterinarians. And any opinions would just be worth whatever free opinions are worth. Certainly not anything to make major surgery decisions by. I think this is the moment of truth. How far are you willing to go financially for a pet dog?

You really have to decide, do I want to see orthopedic surgeons as the vet recommended and the cost that entails? And when they advise surgery, are you willing to go there?
This is not really that uncommon in GSDs unfortunately. One of my sisters had a shepherd that was told needed hip surgery at around 2 years. They just had to bite the bullet and go for it. Not everyone can since everyone's situation is different so no one will judge you. A 2 year old dog might still have 10 years ahead of her so that is something to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:13 AM
Crowned Member

shelby quote
"She has more food allergies than I can count and has already had to face so many challenges in her short life. "
and
"outwardly appears to be a normal, happy and healthy dog."

THIS is what you need to focus on.

Food sensitivities = inflammation

get her on some probiotics -- heal leaky gut -- perfect the diet --- add anti inflammatory

promote strong lean muscle --

pictures would be a tremendous help

dietary breakdown a good starting point
cliffson1 and IronhideKennels like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 AM
Crowned Member

shepdad quote
"I really doubt that anyone would evaluate hip x-rays in an Internet forum even if you were in a forum for veterinarians. "

not so --- even a forum of veterinarians? Fire the whole lot then . ]]
cliffson1, Jax08, bkernan and 3 others like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Hi @ShelbyPtheGSD - after you make a few more posts you will be able to share links and attach images to your posts.

Feel free to make a few more comments here to get your post count up, and if you need any help sharing images let us know. There are people here who can give you some insight on hip films.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I keep trying to attach the X-Ray but it isn't uploading...I guess I may need help (unless this try works)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIPS.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	460362  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Picture Problems

It won't let me attach pictures! I keep trying! I'm new to this site and don't think it will let me attach photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
shelby quote
"She has more food allergies than I can count and has already had to face so many challenges in her short life. "
and
"outwardly appears to be a normal, happy and healthy dog."

THIS is what you need to focus on.

Food sensitivities = inflammation

get her on some probiotics -- heal leaky gut -- perfect the diet --- add anti inflammatory

promote strong lean muscle --

pictures would be a tremendous help

dietary breakdown a good starting point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page