5 month old puppy - how bad is it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By asy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
asy

5 month old puppy - how bad is it?

Hello,

Our boy is 5 months old and has accentuated cow hocks. We took him for a hip x-ray and this was the result.
How bad is it?

Anything we can do to prevent him to getting worse or making better?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RX Anca - Malik - 31.07.2017.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	435826  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
asy

I really need some advice here, the vet thinks its best to do a femoral osteotomy.
Isn't that a little bit extreme for a puppy with 5 months?

On the other hand, the breeder says it is normal for the puppy to walk this way and have some growing pains and that it's too soon to diagnose hip dysplasia. That it is better to wait.

What do you think?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:07 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I hope you are still checking in on this post.

The left hip looks very good (the left is on the right side of the x-ray). The right one looks loose, with a shallow socket - definitely some issues there. BUT I would not rush into surgery just now.

Others who have dealt with hip-dysplasia may be able to give you more advice, but to me, this is not something to panic over. As a puppy, hips may be loose, and many dogs live full, active lives with mild dysplasia. I would seek a second opinion, and look into nutritional support. I know of dogs that had life-long careers in Agility with mild dysplasia, never showing any signs of pain. Keep your dog lean and fit.

Maybe post in health issues and ask for suggestions on the best way to support your pup's development considering the loose hip.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Elite Member

i would start swimming that puppy for exercise to help tighten up the hips. The xrays are a little crooked as well, which can be misleading on interpretation . Other then walking funny any other symptoms? Also I would see an orthopedic surgeon for a consult before making any decisions on cutting this puppy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
asy

Thank you for the input, I was starting to panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I hope you are still checking in on this post.

The left hip looks very good (the left is on the right side of the x-ray). The right one looks loose, with a shallow socket - definitely some issues there. BUT I would not rush into surgery just now.
According to the vet, the shallow socket is the main problem, that is leading to a flattening of the femur head and bilateral articular incongruity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
i would start swimming that puppy for exercise to help tighten up the hips. The xrays are a little crooked as well, which can be misleading on interpretation . Other then walking funny any other symptoms? Also I would see an orthopedic surgeon for a consult before making any decisions on cutting this puppy.
He presented Ortolani positive sign on both legs.
Like I said, he has accentuated cow hocks, the hocks even cross when walking, particularly when is a little tired.
Other symptoms are lameness, plus he always sits and lies down on his side, never straight, and always get up with his front legs first after lying down. He is on anti-inflammatory meds for 7 days (today is the last day) and we walk much better with the meds, which indicate that he is in pain walking off-meds.

The vet recommended physical therapy (hydrotherapy) to build muscle do prepare for a femoral osteotomy.

But I will ask for a 2nd opinion like you said.
griz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page