Need some advice on these X-Rays. Hips and Elbows - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Vandal1979
  • 1 Post By NancyJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Need some advice on these X-Rays. Hips and Elbows

Just had our 12 month old male X-Rayed. I was planning on training him to compete but I'm a little concerned that I should hold off moving further until I get a prelim eval from OFA. This is my first pup so I'm not very familiar with what I'm looking at so I hope someone with some experience can provide some insight. Radiologist said the hips look ok especially the right but the left is showing reduced coverage of the left femoral head but that could be a positioning problem. I'm mainly concerned with the elbows. He had a bout of pano mainly limping on the right elbow. Radiologist said osteophytes are present on both anneal processes. The cranial margin of the right medial coronoid process is blunted. The left is within normal limits. A focal bony opacity is seen in the medullary cavity of the right proximal radial diaphysis. His conclusion was mild bilateral degenerative disease. The blunted right medial coronoid process suggest fragmentation. Left medial coronoid fragmentation is not ruled out. CT examination of the elbows may however be needed for definitive diagnosis. The focal medullary sclerosis of the right radius is most consistent with panosteitis. The dame and sire both had good hips and elbows and he is from a very respected and well known breeder.

So I'm wonder if he could have a chance to pass OFA elbow certification at 24 months? Also should I back off/postpone training until I have some definitive answers? Should I pony up the money for the CT Scans?

Any advice or comments are most appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

With the current hip X-ray, the left will most likely not pass. The socket on that side is very shallow, but I agree that different positioning could change that. The elbows will definitely not pass IMO, and I do not think they will get or appear to be better with age or different imaging either. Sorry ☹️

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

I don't see a problem with the hips. I do see the issue with the elbow but I have seen dogs with elbow x-rays like that who never had a problem, even well into old age.
NancyJ, cliffson1 and carmspack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Can you educate me a bit more on what issues you are seeing in the elbows? Do you think they'd be Grade 1,2, or 3? He is exhibiting no lameness or issues.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a 6 year old who scored DJD-1 at 2 and has never had a day of lameness. Even took him to a vet PT for overall evaluation (she works with my search team) and she has zero concerns.

I would have some concern with the hip and really do recommend you consult with a veterinary physical therapist for a good and age appropriate exercise plan suited to your dog and hopefully that hip won't ever cause any problem. A lot can be said for keeping him lean and the joints tight. A lot of sports people go see our rehab vet just for conditioning guidance.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page