Questions about Hip placement and heat cycles - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Questions about Hip placement and heat cycles

My girl is almost 10 months old, and during a training video i did i noticed her turning one front paw funny. So i decided to have xrays taken to be sure everything was ok. My breeder suggested that " hey while they're taking pictures lets get a peak at her hips" so we did. She wasnt sedated and clearly they weren't official OFA. But my vet came back and said she had mild to moderate hip dysplasia of her right hip.
Both mom and dad have had OFA and everything is fine with them
My breeder suggested that maybe she was coming into heat, plus the placement and photos weren't the best.Not to stress until prelims were properly done at 1 year.

I am in close contact with her. And she is more than willing to offer a new pup. She really is wonderful.
But im conflicted because my vet thought that while sedation and better placement might help the hips to look better, she still thought hip dysplasia would be there. Though i didn't know it at the time of pictures i think she had just gone into heat that day or the day after. Because her mood was off with slight swelling. 15 days later to today she is definitely in heat.

She is my first working line, and we are training for PSA.
So im just worried about our future as a team. I love her dearly. And need reassurance. June seems like eternity, and thats when I'll know for sure.

Is there anyway the pictures could just be that much off? And her prelims will be normal?

Ps. Her front paws are fine. We've added gelatin to tighten her up, i suspect ligaments being loose due to her coming in season.

I do have the xrays, but i am not sure how to share them.

Thank you for your time and patients with me. 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Good Morning!

If you'd like to share the images, I can help talk you through the process (it's not too difficult, and it's free).

#1 - create an account (free) with an image hosting site. Personally, I've had pretty good luck with Photobucket.

#2 - From your Photobucket account, Hit the blue "Upload" rectangle, and navigate to where the image(s) are saved on your computer.

#3 - From your Photobucket Library, click on the image of the radiograph you'd like to share here. On the right hand side of the screen, you'll see options to "Share This Photo".

#4 - Highlight and copy the text link displayed in the "Direct" box.

#5 - Back on this forum, click the yellow square graphic that looks like a mountain. In the window that pops up, copy the text link from Photobucket. Post. All done. The forum tends to automatically re-size images if they're too big.

If you need some extra help, please feel free to PM me (or comment here) and I can walk you through it.

Last edited by WIBackpacker; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

Yes - position is everything with x-rays for hips.

I have seen dogs go from FCI C hips to OFA Excellent and Good with better position, I have seen a dog with OFA mild go to OFA Good....and in each case the original x-rays were sloppy positions...

Some dogs seem to be fine in heat and get good ratings and others not....

Wait until she is older, everything tightens up and she is well past a heat to reshoot

Lee
kurtzcc likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Positioning can definitely effect the way the hips look overall. I'm not sure if I've ever read anything scientific related to hips looking worse while in heat. If you can post the image, we may be able to give you an idea. I have personally had additional films submitted for one of my dogs with better positioning than in the first set of official xrays and she did receive a better OFA rating because of it. Sometimes though, HD is evident regardless of the positioning.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I am trying my best to upload photos. Please let me know if this worked.Thank you.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzcc View Post
I am trying my best to upload photos. Please let me know if this worked.Thank you.
There's no image attached that I can see on my end. Sorry.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Ok i am in the process of creating a photo bucket account. Technology is not my friend today. Lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Kurtzcc, there's an error that's not showing up correctly (there's some extra script that's screwing up the link).

If you'd like me to share both of those hip images in the Google album let me know, I can post them for you.
kurtzcc likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

That would be wonderful. Thank you. How can i share it to you?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posting for Kurtzcc:

@kurtzcc, I took the liberty of blacking out the text in the upper right corner, so no personal info is displayed. If you change your mind and want these images removed, just let me know.
kurtzcc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page