Age to X-Ray Hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mycobraracr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Age to X-Ray Hips

Hi all I have a quick question. At what age should would you generally recommend getting a GSD puppy's first x-rays done on the hips? My friend has a 6 month old male and the breeder has a clause in the contract to get the hips checked around that age but they went to their regular vet (whom I tolerate but there are definitely better vets in our rural area...) and he said he won't do x-rays until they are at least a year old because it isn't "safe for the dog."

I asked my friends to elaborate on why he said it wasn't safe but they said the vet wouldn't elaborate. My husband is a former vet tech and when I told him he said he's never heard of a vet not performing x-rays on a younger puppy and that it wasn't "safe" for them in his experience but he's only ever worked at a high end clinic in a large city with fancy schmancy equipment and whatnot so maybe this vet didn't have the appropriate equipment and/or properly trained technicians for a young puppy? I dunno.

Anyways, what do you all think? What's the age that you guys believe the hips should first be checked out?

Ranger - 1996 - 2009 RIP
Jackie - 1997 - 2016 RIP
Dante, Kenai (SAR Dog IT), Luna (SAR Dog), Pebbles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

It is safe.

Many dogs this age are x rayed as part of the purchase agreement .

I do this myself. If x rays show faulty orthopedics , the expense is mine, and
the other party can decide to continue with sale or walk away without penalty . No sale.
If the pup is for pet and with vet to vet discussion and if necessary a copy set of plates sent
then this will be an informed decision with a drop in price and of course limited registration.

If the plates are okay then the buyer picks up the expense for the x ray . Guarantees still valid
till ofa certification at 2 years plus a month or two.

there is no damage to the dog .

It is early .
There is a margin for error as hips are still developing .
It does give a good view when there is a suspected problem -- the sooner a remedy can be started the better.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! That's what I suspected as well. Based on my experience with Shepherds (and dogs in general) it was odd to me that the vet gave them that info. I would think that if there was a problem with bone and joint growth I would rather know at a younger age where we could possibly plan out a management/treatment plan long-term.

I will talk to my friend and recommend they see another vet about the x-ray.

Ranger - 1996 - 2009 RIP
Jackie - 1997 - 2016 RIP
Dante, Kenai (SAR Dog IT), Luna (SAR Dog), Pebbles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Elite Member

Twelve months if it's just for your own info. OFA won't certify that young, however.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Crowned Member

I check them at around 6 months. That way elbows should be closed and I can check them at the same time. OFA at 2 years.
carmspack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in