3yr.old German Shepherd with Hip Dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

3yr.old German Shepherd with Hip Dysplasia

Hi Everyone,
I bought a German Shepherd 3 yrs. ago and found out he has HD.
I was searching for answers for my GS because I was told he has HP he is 3 yrs. old and cry's out after playing or chasing his balls, or when he has laid down for while, he cry's getting up, so I carried him to the vet at that time I was having him neutered, I told the vet about how he acted, so she suggested x-rays while he was under anesthesia, took 3 x-rays, she showed me his pictures.

I was shocked at how bad his sockets had grew not even a C shape, I was devastated over this and so upset because I can't afford to have hip replacement done on him.. and Im thinking my dog is going to have to be on drugs for the rest of his life.Soooooo after I got home I called the breeder I had purchased him from.I told the breeder and I ask him would he be willing to pay for Pharaohs Vet bills, he said legally he don't have to do anything..

I said ok then maybe I 'll just go to Facebook and make a page about how you sell not quality GS and how your page says good genetics. I told him Im going to have laser therapy on my GS and maybe he should pay, I said you can call my vet ask them about the HD.. so he did.. he told them he would pay the 200 for laser but no more, he said he would want me to sign off on that.. so the next day when I took my dog in for his 1st.treatment, I was told he had a really bad attitude about me, and the vet had told him my dog had the HD.

He told them out 16 puppies how the **** can 1 out of the litter have this disease, my vet explained that either or both parents have it or 1 of them have it in the genes and at some time this disease can come out it could effect 1 pup or 3 or a whole littler, if he had the mother dog tested he may have seen she was a carrier of the disease...had her fixed.

but he went on to breed this female which he said she has passed away and the father he had gave away...

so my question is what else can I do to help my 3yr.old GS I have him synovi g4 2 of them once a day.. and the medicine... oh another thing the my vet said they could cut off the top of my GS hip bones! Has anyone ever heard of this? Im really upset about my dog.. and want to help him... his first laser I haven't seen a bit of change so we'll see he has 7 more sessions to go. Hopefully I'll see an improvement...

also I heard he said he didn't have to pay legally I told him to shove it.
so now my main concern is what else can I do for my baby he is in pain, I have started the laser on him yesterday along with caprofen and tramadol
thanks to anyone input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

well what can one say.

I understand your distress and that you want to do the best for your dog.

Tackling the breeder aspect first.

HD is a complex , multi factorial , orthopedic problem . You can breed ofa excellent to ofa good/excellent and still come up with a dysplastic pup.
You can have a litter that is good but there may be an individual that will have a problem.

SO . What your vet said is NOT correct

"my vet explained that either or both parents have it or 1 of them have it in the genes and at some time this disease can come out it could effect 1 pup or 3 or a whole littler, if he had the mother dog tested he may have seen she was a carrier of the disease...had her fixed.

N O T .

did the "breeder" x ray his breeding dogs ? Did you think to ask at the time ?
Responsible breeders do and take that information into consideration to MINIMIZE risk.

did the breeder offer a warranty as to what he was prepared to do should you have a problem?

no? then he has no obligation.

Even if there was a guarantee , or warranty , it is still a private agreement , not enforceable by law .

the settlement usually is LIMITED to the value of the pup you bought - either full refund , replacement down the line .

you can't expect them to participate in choices that you make in the care of your animal which may include sophisticated surgery in the $10,000 range .

that is why people buy insurance for their pup --- PUP -- before a diagnosis is made

then --- most warranties have a time frame -- usually there is a requirement that the dog be x rayed by two years of age , with a reasonable extension to accommodate females in season or inability to book an appointment spot on the two year mark .
I would say 4 months past 2 years is a good option.

I don't know any breeder that will cover a guarantee/warranty to three years

if the guy offers $200 for the laser -- take it .
lalabug likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

xrays of my dog

I will post the pixs of him soon cant now wont allow me I have only 2 posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

squeak , want to have a conversation to get your post numbers up so that you can post the x rays?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

so I gather the person is still breeding?

Carmen

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

"He told them out 16 puppies how the **** can 1 out of the litter have this disease"

well , yes , it can happen -- in fact for casually bred dogs this would be quite a GOOD record .

can he verify this?

easily done --- just have him give you the contact information so that you can check it out for yourself .

if you have this opportunity you have to keep a cool head - you can't get all chewy angry with them -- just ask and share the information that you have.

if you find out that big majority have this or other problems , then you make it known that the breeder doesn't care.

did you get registration papers?

Carmen

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

HI
yes I have his akc papers, I took him for his 2sec laser therapy today he seems okay but stills crys out when he wants to get up, .. I will try to post his pictures again..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
so I gather the person is still breeding?

Yes he has a litter due in march... offered me a pup from it..... I sure don't want another dog from him...!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

My vet said I should turn him in to akc..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I have replied about 7 times my posts don't show
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page