Please help with 16 week old puppy xrays - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Please help with 16 week old puppy xrays

Hi All, my first post and In really need help from people who can help me with this 16 week old puppies x-rays, Are they good or bad ? THanks so much I am very anxious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panto Mia0001.jpg
Views:	1721
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	370849  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:45 AM

normal hips for that age but that don´t means nothing your puppy is too young. repeat again when you puppy complete 1 year then again after another year.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Why did you have xrays done on a 16 week old? Were there issues? I'm not expert, they look fine to me. You could send them in to OFA for prelims and see what they say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

One knee is different than the other but I have no idea what that means -- as has been referenced "nothing" because it is too early to have xrays tell you anything.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your replies. No problems at all with our girl, we went in for her booster vaccination and vet said she had hip dysplasia after stretching her back legs right back and she yelped, they x-rayed and said she had bad hip dysplasia and we need to operate (JPS surgery) straight away. After I showed our breeder they said hips looked perfectly normal for a 4 month old, but vet had an 'orthopaedic surgeon' look at x-rays and said we should go ahead with operation immediately. Anyone else had experience with this ?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:38 AM
Elite Member

I'd find another vet.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:42 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Your vet is an idiot. Legit.
cloudpump and carlock like this.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:30 AM

I agree with Xeph,

Run as fast as you can from that vet,
they are just looking to make money off you at the expense
of the poor little puppy!!!

Maybe start a new post looking for references of honest caring vets in your area.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
It is truly rare for me to tell people to get another vet, because many times things are just a difference of opinion, and have no ill effect on the dog or its care.

In this case, the vet is an idiot and I'd seek to switch. Shame, really. The positioning on those rads is stellar.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not an expert with xrays unless there is something major to see, which I don't see here.

I will say that I don't necessarily agree that xrays should wait and puppy's have loose hips, etc. In my personal experience working at the vet years ago I seen more then one pup have severe hip Dysplasia by 6 months old. One that stands out was a beautiful golden that couldn't even walk, because it was so bad. My own golden was only about 16 months when his hip dislocated. I often wonder if I could have caught thatwith a couple xrays earlier on. I always say go with your gut and if need be get a second opinion, but I won't ever say it's not possible to see hip Dysplasia in a young dog. Robyn(my female GSD) had looser hips, they always told me she will learn to control her back end, etc--she does have hip Dysplasia. My male GSD never had those same loose hips and X-rays showed good hips. Is there a connection there? It would be interesting to see how many pups that had obvious looser hips ended up with hip Dysplasia versus those that didn't have looser hips and ended up with hip Dysplasia?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page