Nox's hips - opnions please - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gsdsar
  • 1 Post By NancyJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nox's hips - opnions please

Nox had his x-rays today. The vet didn't say anything about them, just made sure we had the forms filled out correctly and then saw us out. (They had a couple of emergencies.)

I am a complete newbie at this. I think they look good (?) but I really have no idea. Any opinions would be great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Ok. So am I losing my mind? I have been looking for this post to respond and it disappeared and now it's back? Or am I crazy??

Ok, so I am seeing some concerning things, The femoral head is flattened and the neck is thickened bilaterally. They have decent coverage though. I think they are workable, most likely will never cause an issue. But my guess is they will go "fair" or "mild".

So that said, I have been wrong a lot. I would love to hear other opinions. I don't want to freak you out. I get this wrong a lot.

I suck at elbows. So I won't even hazard an opinion.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Lol, yes, you did see this earlier! I left all my info on the pics though, so it was deleted. (Too much work lately and the brain has gone on vacation without me.) I edited my photos and re-posted. Thanks for the info. The only thing I can really read on xrays is the coverage which, as you say, is decent. And I have no idea what to even look at for elbows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think it will take a pro on this. The heads I am also not real comfortable that the hips would go good and agree maybe fair or mild? The flat spot could just be the fovea capitus but the ball looks a bit small / deformed but I just am another dog owner.

Elbows - yeah - about the best I can do is link you to this article-I am not going to attempt.

http://www.offa.org/pdf/elbowarticle.pdf

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, I've done some googles and I can definitely see what you are talking about now! We're not planning on breeding him, so all I really want for him is to know that they won't cause him problems. We did the elbows too because he was already under anesthetic so it would only cost an extra $20 or so, and would give us (hopefully) peace of mind. He's still intact, and I'd rather leave it that way, but if he has HD they should come off. He'll be 2 in a few days, and I would like to maybe start running with him, he loves agility (did a tiny bit last fall), he also LOVES the flirt pole, and we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be hurting him if we did any of these things.

We decided to get an OFA done because, with our other dog Frankie, we just did the regular vet xrays. We had NO idea how to read the xrays, and the vet said her hips were fine. Found out from another vet, a few years later (after she started having hip/lower back/ACL type pains at 6 yrs), that they were NOT fine. Not terrible, but not great either. Probably a mild, possibly a moderate HD, based on 2nd vet's opinion (40% or less coverage). So we wanted to get a pro opinion for Nox, this time around.

Anyone else with an opinion, please chime in. It's all a learning experience for me. Can't wait to hear what the pros say! Fingers crossed for a fair!

Last edited by McWeagle; 05-20-2016 at 10:29 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

As long as you don't breed him he can keep the nubbins. Up to you. I also think they look like working hips. Even with good hips it is wise to keep him lean, keep up the rear leg muscle mass and flixibility

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Good to know! Yup, he's nice and lean and has a very solid booty. How do you work on flexibility? He's still a puppy and I don't think he could find the zen it would take to do yoga.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Basically range of motion stretches are good...........This is a rehab vet in our area ....she has the dogs on our search team do stretches and core excercises. [She has rehabbed 2 for ACL injuries and one for a wrist injury so she comes and gives us preventive advice]

McWeagle likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't be real happy with the hips - they are not BAD, but they certainly are GOOD either!!!! Fair? Borderline? Mild???? Depends on the day and the evaluator.....OFA is often puzzling - I have seen nicer hips fail....and ones I thought would fail go Good....

Elbows - no clue.....do not even attempt to figure out elbows!

As far as neutering - leave them there unless there is a reason to take them off like prostrate issues....or you have an intact female in the house

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page