Izzy's Hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NancyJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Izzy's Hips

I have a set that was done when my Izzy was spayed recently, 9 months or so. The vet said that while they arent perfect in some regards that there was no serious issues, which is my only concern. Let me know what you think! thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	izzytunis.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	366001  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

bump.

anyone that could comment please do
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would say her sockets are kind of shallow and the best you could do is do some exercises to build muscle mass to keep the sockets in the hip. Everything you can do to keep her lean and muscular.

She is young so you don't want to overdo it - maybe the bet could recommend a good stretching and exercise program. I think a few sessions with a rehab vet if you have one in your area is worth the money. They can show you the right way to do those exercises.
Cschmidt88 likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 PM

not perfect but is not that bad, the R side is a little worse, the other side is more congruent like the other fellow said this hips are a bit shalow. Maybe hip displasya level 1

swimmig can be the best option, your dog with develop the muscle to make his articulation ballanced and functional without put heavy loads on it, dont make your dog run and jump if you can walk on grass or sand will be ideal. if you force this articulation too much he will have an inflamatory response and then comes pain your dog will adapt his walk to stop that dimishing the use of muscles that will make it weaker then arthrites and arthroses will show.

water will make your guy never fell this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Master Member

I agree with the others, not great but not terrible. A dog with hips like this can easily live a normal life with proper exercise, weight management and a good diet.

Getting her on some joint supplements would be wise too. Nupro Silver would be worth looking into, it has MSM, Glucosamine, and ester C. Along with a bunch of other ingredients for general health. But anything with any of those ingredients would likely help. I've heard a lot of good about turmeric as well.

Dakonic German Shepherds

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.

I appreciate the feedback. Are you then saying as far as running and jumping that I should avoid doing things like playing fetch and frisbee? Or just until she reaches maturity? Or just avoiding long mileage jogs? Because right now we definitely enjoy our time together playing frisbee and or fetching balls, which she runs extremely hard after.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:16 AM

all will depends how well her body will adapt to this. Tensegrity is the key here (tension of muscles, tendons, that when ballance makes the structure in this case the hip joint works perfectly).
this is very complex to fix when unballance few people really have the knowledge to do treat that

here lies my concern, the fact your dog is young if you play safe now the body find a ballance by itself( swiming safest, best option you have) putting your dog jumping to get a frisbee i will not say it will for sure but you will increase the chances of a serious lesion.

think like this if you play safe and work correctly the body of your dog will grow, develop muscle mass, strength and will find a way to correct this minor genetic flaw. But if she get hurt, it will constantly fell pain it will have inflamatory response in such young age she will be fighting all this insteed growing in harmony.

i will repeat this SWiMMiNG is the key here, don´t make your dog jump for at least 2 more years, and if you decide that you will do it anyway only on grass or sand and be very prudent and how many times you will do it.

i put my dogs to RUN on sand is very good for then but never over do it like 10 minutes max every day in your case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page