4Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfstraum
  • 2 Post By wolfstraum
  • 1 Post By wolfstraum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question SV vs. OFA ratings

I have been told the SV will accept the OFA hip ratings, but not the elbows. Is that true? And if so, why? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

This is for the koer only.......you can use OFA or SV hips. For elbows not. OFA is pass or fail elbows. SV has grades exactly like hips. Since dogs are routinely done at 1 year for SV, often they are not "finished" and can improve at 2......some dogs with NZ elbows come here and are sound their whole lives.....produce normal elbows....so looking at less than 'a' normal on SV ratings is IMO always taken with a grain of salt.....if they are 'a' normal - no problem, but I have seen too many FNs and even NZs resubmitted to OFA and come back Good for hips and Normal for Elbows. I have done dogs at 12-16 months and sent to OFA for prelims, then to SV - all have been Good and Normal and gone 'a' normal both hips and elbows....if they were less than 'a' normal I would repeat at 2-2.5

Lee
gsdluvr likes this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

OFA IS doing 1,2, and 3 ratings on elbows now. One of my dogs got a "good" hip rating and a grade 1 on the elbows at 1 year. I called OFA and he said he just didn't think the elbow was perfect enough to pass. My vet was surprised, he thought they looked great. These were, of course, prelims.

Last edited by gsdluvr; 04-27-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
OFA IS doing 1,2, and 3 ratings on elbows now. One of my dogs got a "good" hip rating and a grade 1 on the elbows at 1 year. I called OFA and he said he just didn't think the elbow was perfect enough to pass. My vet was surprised, he thought they looked great. These were, of course, prelims.

??? I just had Seger's done. there was no rating. It was "normal"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

While OFA grades them - the official is still pass and fail....with your Grade 1 elbows, you got a letter I believe, NOT an OFA Certificate. The grade for your information, but it is considered a fail if not normal.

Lee
Jax08 and gsdluvr like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

While OFA grades them - the official is still pass and fail....with your Grade 1 elbows, you got a letter I believe, NOT an OFA Certificate. The grade is for your information, but it is considered a fail if not normal. The SV does not "fail" them until 'a' 4....1 being normal, 2 being fast normal and 3 still acceptable.

Lee
gsdluvr likes this.

wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes, correct I got a letter. Now I understand. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page