Bad hip - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By wyominggrandma
  • 1 Post By llombardo
  • 1 Post By wyominggrandma

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Bad hip

So Oberon has severe dysplasia in one hip. The vet called his orthopedic surgeon to consult and he is scheduled to undergo a TPO surgery this Thursday.

Main question is this, what kind of life are we looking forward to? He is only 11 months old and we've been really active up till 2 weeks ago when we noticed the stiffness and limping. I've never dealt with HD and am devastated that my pup is looking forward to a life full of pain. I've got him on supplements and we still walk to maintain muscle mass. He sleeps on a dog bed in each kennel and is allowed on the couch if he wants.

For those that have dealt with HD for the life of the dog, any other recommendations? His vet seems to think that he's only gonna see 2-3 years pain free and will start in with arthritis etc. I'm depressed and am questioning quality of life and even doing the surgery if he is doomed to be in pain all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Sorry to hear that. I havent got any experience but hopefully someone can help you. But from what i read, natural remedies help a lot with the pain and maybe give him some more quality life.

Have his parents been hip scored? Although i think there is still a chance of the pup getting bad hip even if the parents are perfect.

Hope he doesnt hurt so much and the operation goes well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

What you do is go with FHO which takes away any kind of pain because there is nothing there to cause pain--no bone on bone. I have a golden that had 2 FHOs--fully recovered, no arthritis, no supplements and no limp. My GSD is recovering from Her first and will be having her second. Again no issues. I wouldn't go any other route and I'm very happy with the results. Swimming is the main thing for rehab. My golden was 16 months old and GSD is 4.5 yrs old.

"A femoral head ostectomy (FHO) is a surgical procedure that removes the head and neck from the femur. FHO surgery is performed to alleviate pain."

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 02-23-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Elite Member

Go with the FHO. Both hips on a year old GSD. She did search and rescue in the mountains of Wyoming for 9 years after them. AS llombardo said above, there is no reason to put a dog through painful surgeries (tpo etc,) that amount to breaking the pelvis to reposition the femoral head into the socket. Do an FHO and once healed, dog can run, jump, play as normal....
To be honest vets do not like to do them(fho) if they can get owner to do more expensive TPO or total hip replacements which entail a lot more bone surgery, recovery, and in the case of THR , replacement at some point. FHO CAN be done on big dogs, we have done them on Saint Bernards, Newfoundlands, etc.....
ColoradoGSDLover likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Go with the FHO. Both hips on a year old GSD. She did search and rescue in the mountains of Wyoming for 9 years after them. AS llombardo said above, there is no reason to put a dog through painful surgeries (tpo etc,) that amount to breaking the pelvis to reposition the femoral head into the socket. Do an FHO and once healed, dog can run, jump, play as normal....
To be honest vets do not like to do them(fho) if they can get owner to do more expensive TPO or total hip replacements which entail a lot more bone surgery, recovery, and in the case of THR , replacement at some point. FHO CAN be done on big dogs, we have done them on Saint Bernards, Newfoundlands, etc.....
I feel like a broken record. I think that people are very quick to listen to the vet and don't do any research.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Bad vet advice!!

My niece is around the Purdue University area and just went thru a major streeful situation and almost put her 1 yr old dog down. The Vet recommended very expensive dual hip surgery. Turns out it was one knee and was readily fixed for a much lessor price. Just be careful and don't be afraid to get more than one additional opinion!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I feel like a broken record. I think that people are very quick to listen to the vet and don't do any research.

I feel the same way. We have both had so much experience with an FHO, but as soon as a vet says TPO or THR, a client won't question other options, they just do it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
I feel the same way. We have both had so much experience with an FHO, but as soon as a vet says TPO or THR, a client won't question other options, they just do it.
What I'm finding quite disturbing is that I belong to a group on facebook and lots of people have dogs with hip issues and they are never given the option of FHO. Some dogs have had a couple surgeries fail and then FHO is brought up. Most people don't even know it exists. Shame on vets for not explaining and offering it.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

That is a fact. To be realistic, most vets don't suggest FHO's because a lot of vet consider it a salvage procedure so before doing an FHO, they want to try and of course have the client pay for the more expensive surgeries to have a "success" story.
FHO's have been done for years and years as a salvage procedure for dog having injuries and are fast about using that procedure for those type of injuries, big and small dogs. However, doing an FHO on a dog for HD is not suggested as much, again because of the thoughts of it being a salvage type procedure.
Its really a shame, because the FHO does work, has no future issues in a dogs life and once its done , its done. No living on pain meds, no fighting against rejection, no redoing surgeries that are so common in the other types of surgeries. Its also interesting that FHO's are done on dogs with Leggs-Perth Calves disease all the time, vets have no problems suggesting that cure of LPC disease. Makes you wonder why they have such a hard time to suggest FHO's for HD>
I always like the excuse that it can't be done on big dogs......... Garbage, there are plenty of big dogs that have had FHO's and done great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page