1y/o male hip issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

1y/o male hip issues

Barrett is a 1y/o male that I came to us via the pound. Assumed that prior owners kept him kenneled in too small of a kennel, outside most of the time. His hind quarters were so low that his tail drug about 3" on the ground. He was skin and bones with giardia scale off the charts. All four paws turn out and his right ball is not formed properly to fit in the socket. I placed him on Wilderness large breed puppy food and that seemed to help a lot.
My question - how do I continue to reverse the damage that the prior (I cant call them nice anything) did to his health and mostly hip issues, or keep it at bay
1y/o male hip issues-img_2655.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The hip sockets are shallow and that is genetic so you can't fix that but they could be a lot worse than they are!. With so many various issues, if you can, I would see a canine rehab vet to put you on a plan of strengthening muscle (which holds the hip and place) and working on the other issues. Proper exercise program can help a lot.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nancy I will see what I can find in my area - we have horse property and his best friend, a 3y/o chocolate lab that he plays like crazy with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page