Hip/elbow x-ray opinions please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sigh
Not good. What does the vet say?
How old is the dog?

I would guess dysplasia on the hips though not sure what level. It looks like loose fit and the start of deformation of the sockets......though I have seen a lot worse and dogs move just fine. Definitely would want to keep the muscles as strong as possible back there. I believe because of the way the left leg is rotated it looks worse than it actually is.....

The left elbow looks pretty bad. Elbows are tricky to read and I am not expert but that looks like a pretty significant bone spur on the ulna.

But remember you get what you pay for. Another dog owner with limited experience.....

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 02-10-2016 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Crowned Member

Hips not bad bad - but not good either...Left looks a bit worse, mild? borderline?

Not an expert on elbows - but neither look normal just looking back at the ones I have on my machine here.....the right does not look "clean" in shape....

Probably a dog who will be functionally OK without undue stress....but get them read by an expert.....we here just give semi knowledgeable guesses.....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I was not able to talk to the vet, he was in surgery. The vet tech said the hips looked ok, and elbows didn't look so good but to still send them in to OFA.

The dog is 3 years old.

Do you think the positioning of x-rays looks good?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

As I look at it again it does look like the alignment actually is not perfect but pretty close. I think ideally you would also want the kneecaps to line up on the center but the rest is aligned pretty well. Here is article on hip positioning and I also found one on the elbows. Really guessing if the legs had been rotated in a little more it would have pushed the femoral heads further into the sockets and it would be a little better .... Unless you are breeding I would not worry so much.......

Leerburg | The Importance of Good Positioning on Canine Hip X-rays

And this for the elbow-my own dog went DJD1 (Figure 8) and is perfectly fine with zero lameness or symptoms even when evaluated by an orthopedic vet. Yours is a little more pronounced but elbows are hard to score.

http://www.offa.org/pdf/elbowarticle.pdf

And this explains hip scoring

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals: Hip Dysplasia

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Photo bucket banned my hip x-rays so here it is again

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

the bottom one is better - in the first one, one femoral head somewhat malformed or changed? I have seen worse hips pass with a Good and better Fail with a mild - the problem is that they group and compare them from what I understand....These could even go Fair....when they are not horrible or beautiful - it is really much harder to predict!!!

Also the chart at the bottom of the article on hips is absolutely wrong in practice! FN hips are not borderline hips - many redone here have gone OFA Good, and a couple of C rated dogs with FCI hips have gone OFA Good and Excellent.....the correlation is not that black and white.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 02-11-2016 at 09:00 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The little thing that bothered me was what appears to be some flanging on the bottom of the left hip socket and the loose fit. Whatever they score I would think he has clearly workable, livable hips that should not cause problems but that is an opinion. Even with an OFA GOOD dog, an orthopedic vet gave me exercises to build rear leg strength and keep those hips tight which is probably good advice to anyone.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

" I have seen worse hips pass with a Good and better Fail with a mild - the problem is that they group and compare them from what I understand....These could even go Fair....when they are not horrible or beautiful - it is really much harder to predict!!! "

So how in the world does that make any useful sense.

Carmen

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

LOL It doesn't!!!!! That is what I am saying - the chart is uselss and I have seen people quote it like it is the Bible!

Lee

wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page