Leeloo's Hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Leeloo's Hips

Hi everyone, I just joined and am trying to go through and read other people’s post about their dog’s HD issues, so I am not going to be asking must at the moment, but rather sharing what my dog Leeloo and I have gone through so far.
Leeloo is a 5 year old (DOB Aug. 13, 2010), fixed female German shepherd/Malamute mix. She currently weighs 84.4lbs. No she is not a purebred, and I hope that does not anger anyone on this forum. I joined because this is the best forum I could find were people were talking about hip dysplasia in large breed dogs.
My dog was diagnosed with HD just last month after she started limping and became incontinent of urine. I knew things were not going to be good when our vet skipped bloodwork and went straight to x-rays. He rated her HD at 3 on a scale of 1 to 4. He also found she had a very bad urinary tract infection that he said is unrelated to the HD. He wants to do an FHO on her and wants about $1735 Plus additional meds to go home on, so somewere closer to $1800 per hip. That is way beyond my budget so I started looking for other options. I took her to a not for profit vet clinic in Tampa and got a second opinion, the surgeon there said that her hips were very bad and he did not want to do the FHO because it was beyond his abilities. The not for profit clinic did run blood work and rechecked her urine and everything was OK.
She started on glucosamine and chondroitin last month before she was diagnosed, and the vet has her on gabapentin x2 a day, and carprofen x2 day. She also gets fish oil and pumpkin daily for her coat and to help her express her anal glands. She *was* closer to 90lbs, not over weight at all because she stands very tall, but I have been taking her down in weight to help relieve the stress on her hind end.
Currently she has no issues walking, playing, and even runs (although not as much as she use to). I don’t feel like I am getting much support from her regular vet, he really wants me to do the surgery, I just can’t afford it. What is the point in paying for the surgery if I cannot keep the lights on and buy her food? At any rate, we are in this for the long haul so I wanted to join and read about other people’s dogs and their HD problems and see how they are coping. I have attached the x-rays of Leeloo’s hips and spine), you can see that arthritis has set in on 2 of her vertebra, but the vet says it does not go further up her spine.
Below is also a link to a YouTube video showing Leeloo walking next to my 10yr old mix breed, Igor.
https://youtu.be/oDZP23ZplgQ

Thanks for looking, I'm sure after I dig around the forum some more, I will have questions. Any comments and suggestions on how to help my best friend have a longer and happier life are more than welcome!

Missina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leelooships.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	329114   Click image for larger version

Name:	leeloosspine.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	329122  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Crowned Member

Hello and welcome Leelo! Sorry, cannot offer advise on FHO, but I would think getting a bit of weight off may help. Others will chime in with help I am sure. Good luck

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
Hello and welcome Leelo! Sorry, cannot offer advise on FHO, but I would think getting a bit of weight off may help. Others will chime in with help I am sure. Good luck
that's what the vet said. she is really fluffy due to the malamute in her so its difficult to see, but she is not over weight. my target for her is to get her down to the point were her ribs are visable..or well at least felt. its pretty much impossible to see her ribs through all of her fur! and the vet has said she can no longer go for runs with me and my bike. SO she will have to learn to enjoy swimming did I mention she hates water? it will prove interesting.

Missina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

Can you get care credit? I would do the worse hip now and then work on rehab. They lose a lot of muscle during the procedure. Swimming is the best thing for it IMO. While you do the swimming for the rehab part you are building muscle on the other hip. At that point you can decide if you want to do the second hip, as they get older it takes slightly longer to heal. My golden was 15 months versus my GSD who is over 4. My GSD is about 80 pounds but is tall so she is still considered slim and slender. She is about 99% recovered now. She goes swimming twice a week and the muscle is building. What you don't want is for the hip to dislocate, if that happens surgery is a must and it cost almost double(this happened with my golden) between swimming and the surgeries for the golden I was over $10000.00. The FHOs here do cost more then what you were quoted--your price per hip is decent. The golden is fully recovers from both and you would never know he had hip Dysplasia of surgery, he runs, hikes, plays and swims pain free. Hope this helps--good luck

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page