Need some advice on our 5 month old GSD's hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need some advice on our 5 month old GSD's hips

Hi, I'm new to the breed and adopted my first GSD Mia a few months ago. She is now 5 months old and during our last 2 visits to the vet she expressed concern about Mia's hips. At first she thought that the issues looked neurological but being that she is so young said that that would very rare. So now the vet wants to do X-rays when we get her spayed (which we agreed to), but we would just like to get some other opinions as well. She never appears to be in any pain walking or running or getting up, but she is definitely still quite wobbly at times. Sometimes she almost looks "drunk" (as the vet described it) when she is walking. She does sometimes drag her bag toes and seems to push off her left hind leg a bit more (sometimes more noticeable than others). Her back toenails have never bled or anything like that though and we take her for 1-2 walks daily as well as playing in the back yard or the dog park. Just wondering if this is just puppy awkwardness and she just needs time to grow into her body or if we should really be worried. I just hope my girl is going to be okay! I'm going to add the links to the videos of her running/walking as soon as it will let me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:34 PM

unfortunately, I too see reason for concern... some of this is definitely puppy but combined with the bunny hopping, some skipping and a couple of awkward positions I noticed - it definitely warrants x rays however I would hold off on the spay. there are researches out there on the effects of early spay/neuter and hip displasia (overall growth, health, etc) but having rescues who were altered when acquired, I've never looked too deeply into the issue.

once you see what's going on with her hips, you will have a better idea of what may improve with age and what will require some intervention.

hip dysplasia is a very general term that refers to malformation of the hip joint and this can mean the actual shape of the bone... but you can also have a normal shaped bone that just doesn't sit/fit/move properly producing too stiff or in your case as it appears too loose hips.

I've dealt with hip dysplasia but my girl was diagnosed at 3 and was no longer a candidate for surgery. the earlier it's caught, the more options you'll have.

best of luck! you've got a cute, happy and seemingly well adjusted little girl.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely do some more research on the spaying as well, I was unaware of that. We will get going on the X-rays soon and hopefully if anything is wrong we can catch it early.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks for posting this, I would not have known what to look for as far as hips in a GSD puppy. Mine is around the same age. Her parents had good hip ratings but you can never be sure I know. Hope your pup does well and grows up with no hip issues. To the more experienced owners out there, what exactly do you look for in a puppy to screen for hip issues? My vet said my puppy's hips seemed great but that was a while ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page