14 week old puppy hip extention concern! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

14 week old puppy hip extention concern!

Hi there

I have a female gsd, 14 weeks old. She's a lovely dog and has no problems. However at recent vet visits for her vaccinations, the vet tested her joints etc for any problems. He seems to be concerned about her hips. She can fully extend them, but she is reluctant to do so. He says they feel tight. He has done this at 3 different visits now and each time she is less bothered by it, but he is still concerned, but reluctant to test further until she is 6 months.

She is more than capable of running and jumping about, using stairs, jumping on the sofa and shows no signs of pain or discomfort! She walks normal and the only thing that worries me is what the vet is saying!

I have no knowledge of HD and obvious this has worried me a great deal.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

"She can fully extend them, but she is reluctant to do so. He says they feel tight. He has done this at 3 different visits now "

don't let the vet do this . Is he expert at this ? Is this some ham fisted pulling out of range of normal motion that may harm young ligaments ?

"She is more than capable of running and jumping about, using stairs, jumping on the sofa and shows no signs of pain or discomfort! She walks normal and the only thing that worries me is what the vet is saying!"

You seem to have no reason to be concerned. At some point , when YOU choose , you may want to do an x ray .
Send it off to ofa for an opinion. Not every vet can do a good x ray and not every vet can offer a good opinion.

Feed the dog well. Don't do over do exercise at this age .
Don't get pressured or frightened into doing some procedure which may not even be necessary.

worry not, go and enjoy your pup.

IF there is concern - x ray at some time that

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I don't know why the vet would do this at such a young age. She obviously has a lot of growing to do!

She is on a prescribed diet especially for joint and bone development.

he didn't seem to be pulling her legs around too much. Just a full extension, however I can't imagine any dog particularly enjoying it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 PM

Hello, my 5month old shepherd was diagnosis with HD today, I am worried sick.he was given meds, however he continues to whin...any suggestions how to make him comfortable without having which I cannot afford.???
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

Samanthasasha, get a second opinion. I wonder if this guy just wants to sell a special diet. It sounds fishy to me. These pups grow in such weird ways, first a bone grows, then their stomachs, then ears then their legs again. I just am really suspect at this guys "expertise" at 14 weeks.

Robyd, start your own thread you will get more concise info.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthasasha View Post
Thank you. I don't know why the vet would do this at such a young age. She obviously has a lot of growing to do!

She is on a prescribed diet especially for joint and bone development.

he didn't seem to be pulling her legs around too much. Just a full extension, however I can't imagine any dog particularly enjoying it!!
Your dog is 14 weeks old, doesn't seem to have any signs of HD, IF it was me, I would seriously reconsider the "special diet". What food is it? Only sold at the vet? Probably really expensive. Do more research on the food. Again, if it was me, I would feed a high quality LBP food and let the puppy live and grow. I don't know if there is any science behind foods like this. I can understand LID...but doubt there is anything to the special food for joint and bone.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi thanks for your responses. She is on royal canin large breed for puppy. I have heard mixed reviews about this food but I felt I could trust my vet to give me the right advise
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:53 PM

Royal Canin is junk food, honestly. There are much better brands out there for that price, and the only reason vets recommend it is because that's what they're taught in school: to recommend brands that pay them (the schools) to do so.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 04:00 PM

Unfortunately vets are not trained in nutrition. They push the food they have in their offices because that company sponsors them and donates to veterinary schools. If she shows no signs of discomfort, tell the vet to leave her legs alone, you have that right. At 1 1/2 -2 years, get x rays if that's what you want to do. Don't worry about anything unless SHE gives you reason to be concerned. There is worse out there then royal canin, but there is definitely better. It's your decision, don't feel pressured to feed what a vet or anyone else says to feed. If you are looking for options for high quality food I recommend Fromm Prairie Gold Large Breed Puppy. It has low calcium - phosphorus ratios, grain free and they are a family run company with no recalls.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page