Jaeger's X-Rays - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Jaeger's X-Rays

Jaeger's a rescue that I adopted a little under a year ago, so I don't know his breeding history or how he was raised, but he is most certainly a pure-breed (probably the runt of the litter based on a few opinions, but he's a good dog).

I took him in for x-rays because he yelped whenever I was lifting his leg to apply cream for a skin condition at the time, or when he laid down too hard (he's a floppy dog, so that's often).

The vet I used said he had hip dysplasia but didn't really tell me anything else and was rather uncommunicative and short (I don't go to that vet anymore). He's only four years old, I didn't think symptoms would be showing up for HD this early. He's now on chondroitin and glucosamine for the joints and previcox for the pain, and he's been much more active lately.

Any opinions out there on how bad his issue really is?

Jaeger xray2_zpspw4rkyjq.jpg Photo by steelhelix | Photobucket

Jaeger xray3_zpsboseb6v6.jpg Photo by steelhelix | Photobucket

Jaeger xray1_zpss6jlrvb3.jpg Photo by steelhelix | Photobucket

Household dogs:
Jaeger - Tan and Black GSD - Rescued June 2014
Jonas - Pure White Pyrador - Not mine but might as well be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
I cannot read the x-rays. But Fiona is not yet 3 and was diagnosed with mild HD yesterday. Vet said she can do pretty much everything, just have to do maintenance. Some PT exercise and the joint meds and pain meds Jaeger is on.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
I cannot read the x-rays. But Fiona is not yet 3 and was diagnosed with mild HD yesterday. Vet said she can do pretty much everything, just have to do maintenance. Some PT exercise and the joint meds and pain meds Jaeger is on.
Was Fiona giving any pain symptoms before you had her check up? Jaeger seemed pretty bad, didn't want to really jump around or run much, also whined and yelped a good deal. He's been on his treatment now for a couple of months and he's doing great, he goes on runs with me most days and jumps up to greet me when I get home (bad habit, I know, but I don't mind it).

Household dogs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHelix View Post
Was Fiona giving any pain symptoms before you had her check up? Jaeger seemed pretty bad, didn't want to really jump around or run much, also whined and yelped a good deal. He's been on his treatment now for a couple of months and he's doing great, he goes on runs with me most days and jumps up to greet me when I get home (bad habit, I know, but I don't mind it).
Kinda. I noticed that at the end of the day, she was no longer jumping on my bed or would be hesitant to do it. She would walk around the bed, look at me, then walk to the other side. She reminded me of me. Being disabled there are certain things that i have to plan, like if I get on the floor, how am I going to get back up. I felt that is what her walking around the bed was like.

The vet said that she was amazed that I picked up on it. She had watched Fiona play and if she had not seen the x-ray, she would not know Fiona has mild HD.

I am glad that I had it checked out. Starting early, vet said that with proper maintenance it may never get worse or may never need surgery. The only think I am not doing with her anymore is taking her on across the country flights. Too painful for her to sit that long in the tiny space.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
The vet said that she was amazed that I picked up on it.
Frame of reference is always important. Having a disability makes you more aware of issues others might have, especially if they're similar.

Household dogs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page