Lax Hips, 5 Months - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Lax Hips, 5 Months

Had prelims done on my boy today, along with some other stuff. X-rays came back far from perfect but not horrible. He's 5 months a week or so shy of 6, un neutered and raw fed. I have kept him quite lean, and he has good muscle for his respective age and moves well. The question the vet had for me is whether to interfere now or let him develop and see was happens. Thoughts?
More familiar with Mals, GSDs develop so different lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1HEKTOR.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	281593   Click image for larger version

Name:	3HEKTOR.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	281601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

What do you mean "interfere now"?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Master Member

What led to the xray? Did he get hurt?
Did the vet put a name to the condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

He had a loose walk that im now finding out isn't that odd for a GSD pup, Like I said im used to Mals. I also like to get an early check on how growth plates and stuff are going. Vet said the poor coverage on the right could be a problem. Breeder said dad was looser too as a pup but grew into OFA "good" hips. I guess the real question is what do you guys think anything I should be rely concerned over or is the vet just getting my blood up?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

I'd let the dog mature and reevaluate...

Glad to see how proactive you are....much more than myself.....but there is a bit of " Que sera sera " to the situation....If he's a bit loose and your concern regarding the growth plates fully developing properly....I'd exercise the dog in a hearty fashion which takes all your observations/concerns into application.

SuperG
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

is the vet an ortho?

Personally, if that dog is not having any issues I would not rush into surgery for those hips, if that was what the vet was suggesting.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Those would probably get ofa good if he was old enough to be evaluated. I'm not a vet and this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but your vet is nuts. That dog should never have hip issues for his entire life.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

The hips could get better or worse from here.

Folks isn't there some healthy joint protocol that might be a good idea for this pup -- diet, exercise that will give this guy the best shot of reaching however good his hips can potentially be?

I have heard to use vitamin C, that the pup can absorb so it may be a special vitamin C, and there may be other supplements that promote healthy hips. Careful not to overdo calcium.

Regular walks, and swimming to build up the muscle tone, and do not force the pup to climb or jump. At the same time, let the pup be a puppy.

HD is genetic, but there does seem to be an environmental component to hip/joint health.

Good luck with the puppy. As for interference, I would interfere by adding the best supplement for joint health that people with GSDs recommend, and the exercise, and by not doing agility or anything like that until he is quite full grown. But no surgery. What would you do surgically to those hips? They do not look bad at this point. Yes, some puppies are loosey goosey at times.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! No the vet is not a ortho, but I'm happy I got it done so I can get an inside view of what's going on (thinking back now I should have done elbows too). I'm going to start adding more chicken feet and breed trachea to bluster his glucosamine and chondroitin intake, he's also on ester C. I will be watching carefully the calcium intake as I do for all my pups. As for exercise I will continue to let him free run and play at the daycare I used to work at. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Dan&Hektor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	281641  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

You do realize that Ester C has calcium in it, right? And that you should look for a product with bioflavinoids in it to give a more complete C complex?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page