Hip X-rays what do you guys think? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Hip X-rays what do you guys think?

I took axle into the vet because he started limping the other morning so I wanted to have him looked at to make sure it was nothing bad since he never has limped before so the vet suggested X-rays heres what I got. The vet said the left hip looks like it has some signs of arthritis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 6.42.36 PM.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	269034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 6.42.41 PM.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	269042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:34 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

The hip on the right( as I look at it) has very poor coverage and significant changes in the femoral head. It could be positioning, but his femur length is significantly different as well. If he was very sore, they may not have been able to extend the hips and leg down appropriately. So I am not sure if it's significant or not.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

He is 3 years old the when I took him to the vet the vet extended both legs to see the movement and said the movement all seemed normal. When they took the X-rays he was not sedated, they just did it with him standing there so I'm sure it was hard to get him to stay still and in the perfect position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Also is there some sort of nationwide company that you can email the X-rays to that can look them over, I would definitely like to have someone look at these X-rays that is specialized in HD. As the vet can only give you a rough idea of what he thinks but is not specialized in HD.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Elite Member

Warning i am not a veterinarian, this is coming from my own personal opinion and my own experience in the animal world.

I really dont know a whole lot about hip x-rays, but i will say that after all the of the hip x-rays i have seen, According to that ONE x-ray, the dogs left hip has poor placement.. It is hard to see what is going on in the right hip, maybe because the picture comes up small on here..
But i really only would be worried about bone hitting bone, arthritis starting, pain from that..

If it is HD.. (I would get this proven.) At the very least i would start on some supplements. Fish oil, Cosequin DS (is good join supplement, but you can look into others), Benefit Hips and Knees (my holistic vet really believes this herbal has helped many of his patients with joint problems) There are other things like laser therapy, adequan shots, building up muscle around the joint to help support it, surgery options and many more things to help with HD.

But it could just be bad X-rays, its good to have them sedated for it, for best placement. Maybe you can have it done again and have the x-rays be sent in somewhere to be rated.

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am know vet either but the hip on the right side of the x-ray clearly looks bad to me. Shallow socket some remodeling of the head. When I had a bad set of xrays on Cyra.. the vetsent me to an ortho vet... And he said that he didn't need to see anymore he saw enough I think experienced eyes will be able to determine what they're looking at. To be honest they don't look any worse than hers looked... But each dog is different. Someone who is used to dealing with this is probably going to give you a better view of all your options ... maybe keep the dog lean give glucosamine and a little physical therapy.... Though they might recommend more..... Particularly since most of it appears to be in one hip...... Not the end of the world but hopefully something workable.... bummer

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

What brand fish oil do you all recommend, he's getting a liquid glucosamine twice a day.
Also I live in Los angeles area are there any vets or someone specialized in HD that I can get a good idea of how bad it possibly is?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Also where can I send in the X-rays to have them graded?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower65 View Post
Also where can I send in the X-rays to have them graded?
Not a professional.. But from what I have heard from my vet to pass Hip-dysplacia certs. the hips need to be very well aligned.

It costs far more to have them graded by a professional body than to take the x-rays, and have your vet give you his opinion.
Suffice to say if you trust your vet's expertise that could be enough...

I would suggest taking better x-rays if you want them graded... I don't think those x-rays would be eligible for example to get a dog certified for good hips...

The legs are not in proper alignment. Maybe your vet through his professional experience could get the necessary information from those particular x-rays.
Sedation can provide better x-rays if dog cant stay still..

If you ask your vet... He should be able to sort out the required paper-work and send them to get graded... But I think he would have to retake x-rays and possibly sedate the dog.

Last edited by Lykoz; 01-28-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower65 View Post
What brand fish oil do you all recommend, he's getting a liquid glucosamine twice a day.
Also I live in Los angeles area are there any vets or someone specialized in HD that I can get a good idea of how bad it possibly is?

Ask your vet for an orthopedic surgeon. Those are the ones that can take really good xrays.

If he's diagnosed with HD, why spend the money and time to have them graded? Do you need it for a breeder?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page