Hip Opinions please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Hip Opinions please

I hope these x-rays are a decent size and not giant. I have tried to resize them and the Edit does not seem to stick ...
My 14 month old Male. I took him in due to sudden limping Right rear leg. They sedated him and these are a couple of the x-rays from that visit. Vet says is definitely Dysplasia. Medical management at this time. Dasaquin. Water treadmill. Stresses keep lean and well-muscled. I can do that. I will do what it takes!
What I do not want to do is be unaware of any other options i might have to optimize his hip health. Especially if his youth can be used as an advantage and not a dis-advantage. This Vet was rushed for time I think. I have been reading here and elsewhere, and I first off am wondering if anything is bad about the positioning of these?

ALl opinions welcomed and appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010424.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	267306   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010419.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	267314  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The positioning is not perfect, but acceptable. I agree with your vet, you can see the left hip (on the right side of the X-ray), has a smaller ball and is does not have a snug fit in the cup. How much a dog limps and shows pain does not always correspond with what the x-rays show - some dogs have pretty advanced HD according to the x-ray, yet they are active and never show any signs of pain or stiffness, while other dogs seem to show only mild HD, but limp heavily and avoid activity.

You say he is limping on the right side? Are the x-rays inverted? Normally what you see on the right side of the x-ray is the left side of the dog, so the bad hip here is the left one.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

They must be inverted then, by mistake. He is (was) limping on his RIGHT rear. Not the left. I took these pics by camera as the Tech fed them onto the lightbox. I did not think to check for inversion...
He has been on restricted activity, and is not limping now...but his hip/leg are off...he is not standing square.
as the Vet watched his gait, she said something about "level 2", and at one point said 'oh...he went Level 3 there...for a bit'.
What do these 'levels' refer to?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Was this a regular vet or an ortho? If it wasn't an ortho then I doubt your vet has any idea what they are talking about with "levels".

Did they check his ACL? What about pano? Did they look for that?

Those hips dont' really look that bad to me. Mild at the most.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't know what the levels your vet is talking about - maybe the amount of limping?

You may want to post in the health section and get some recommendations for supplements. Lots of people have HD dogs doing well on a regiment of vitamins and supplements, with no signs of limiping. I know one dog with mild HD who is a mulit-MACH in agility - her hip displaysia hasn't slowed her down on bit!

I would also get confirmation from your vet as to which side is showing the displasia on the x-ray. As Jax mentioned, those hips should not be a deal breaker, and many other things may be causing the limping.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Vedicsky - you may want to explore Boneo Canine as a supplement option. It is supposed to strengthen the entire skeletal system (bones and joints) by promoting bone remodeling and joint rebuilding. Traditional supplements usually only focus on the joints. It's glucosamine-free, safe for puppies, and based on an all natural lactoferrin technology backed by 6 patents. Try discussing it with your vet!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Some vets use "level" to quantify limping. So a 1/5 limp is barely noticeable. A 5/5 is non weight bearing. And everything in between.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks gsdsar! I assumed they were talking about "levels" of HD.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Jax08, this was a regular Vet, not an Ortho. She did not mention Pano nor ACL... I should have thought to ask about Pano, but i was frankly...in shock somewhat.

BRN2014 I will ask about Boneo Supplement. I am trying to organize a second opinion w/ an Ortho. Not so much to get them to say 'Oh she was mistaken' (although that would be nice!) but more to make sure I am am completely aware of my options across the board.

The Vet I saw was stretched thin that day I think. I have lots of questions. She did not have time for a conversation. I felt so anyway....she is a pretty good 'regular Vet', I have had her for 3 years....ever since moving here.

Castlemaid thanks much for the positive thoughts...an Agility gal with HD is very steadying info!!

gsdsar, that clears up the 'levels' thx. 2 is not too badly then...and he is much improved since she saw his gait. This all was last week...a week today in fact. He is much better.

I have started the nutritional, diet, swimming, hill walking regime....getting it going. Will not force him too hard, and build into it as we go. This will be a way of life...not a limited engagement type of adjustment.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

the position is not great, but I have seen worse.....but with better positioning is not going to change the shape of the femoral heads or the coverage significantly. I don't think these would pass OFA - maybe a moderate HD, maybe a mild....I have seen better hips go moderate, but these do not look so bad to cripple him....

there are many here who are managing dogs with less than stellar hips....supplements, feeding regime, exercise etc....there is no reason this dog cannot be functional albeit not a competition athlete....I have seen dogs with worse hips train and compete, but also felt that the owners were doing the dog a disservice as they paid for it as they got older...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page