I think we're gonna be doing the hip dysplasia thing :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I think we're gonna be doing the hip dysplasia thing :(

My girl just hit 5 months and I'm noticing funny things....She bunny hops about 50% of the time when she runs (or plays on the slippery section of floor we have but we try to keep her off of it). She frog sits if it's her choice to sit (when I'm training her she sits great!), and she just seems a little off sometimes when she walks around, though she has no problem jumping (we're working on that!) It gets a little more noticeable as we go through the day, though the funny thing is that when she's outside in -30 weather she seems much better! She's just too good. Our last dog was a Jack Russell/Sheltie cross so granted I can't expect that level of hyper but still. I'm hoping against hope that maybe she's just mellow and there's a touch of growing pains.
Anyway! Here's my question. We are planning to get her spayed through the rescue she came from somewhere around 8 months or directly after her first heat, and I'm wondering whether it's worth it to PennHip her now or whether we should wait and do it then as we had planned. Will it make a huge difference? It's still in the window for a TPO if HD is what it is and if she'd be a candidate but could leaving it for three months make it way worse? Do I wait and see?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:18 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Whoa! Slow down! From your post, you have a normal puppy with no issues. LOTS of puppies bunny hop, and lots of puppies do the lazy frog sit, even older dogs with perfectly normal hips. Even my old guy, now five years old bunny hoped at time until he was two. He OFA'd Good: Bunny hopping was just him kicking up his heels and having fun outside!

Take a big breath, relax, and let your pup be a pup, ackward, lazy at times, crazy at times, athletic sometimes, uncoordinated and silly sometimes. None of it indicates Hip Displasia.

I don't know enough about Penn-Hip to comment on that, but I would suggest x-rays when she is under for spaying, just for your own peace of mind. And lots of dogs with mild displasia go on to live full, active, pain-free lives with proper management and supplements.

Just relax, I'm sure your pup is fine.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

I'd wait until she was at least 2 yo before spaying her, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 AM
Crowned Member

She came through rescue, so doubtful they will have a policy waiting that long (having just seen a GSD puppies for sale flyer at my vet office - mom was rescued, dad is a dog with champions of course - there's a reason rescues generally require a spay before adoption). Penn Hip is great, you can do it when she's spayed and just relax until then and let her be active to her comfort level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Major relief....it's pano! Hurray! We decided we shouldn't wait to check when she started biting her back legs incessantly...so now we're all set up and good to go. Teething and pano. What a combo! Re: the spay...yes she's a rescue so they set the spay date. I'm actually impressed they usually wait until 8 months. Knowing where she came from...I completely understand. Dog shoots are a regular thing up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page