Ziva has HD-How bad? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Unhappy Ziva has HD-How bad?

I suspected Ziva had HD. Had her hips and elbows x-rayed today (she was also spayed). She is 19 months. I know these are not good. Vet is waiting on the certified radiologist to grade them.

Thoughts?

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

So yeah. They are not great. The femoral necks are thickened and the heads have less than 50% coverage.

But.... I have seen waaaay worse. Keep her thin, keep her muscled, get her on a joint supplement and you may never see outward signs until she is much older.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
So yeah. They are not great. The femoral necks are thickened and the heads have less than 50% coverage.

But.... I have seen waaaay worse. Keep her thin, keep her muscled, get her on a joint supplement and you may never see outward signs until she is much older.
Thank you for looking. Thankfully she is thin, 58 lbs. She loves to run and run full throttle at that. She loves the water but we have yet to get her to really swim. We don't have many places that allow dogs to swim. Plus winter is coming.

Our previous mix breed dogs took Cosequin DS for years.
I see they have a newer formula with MSM.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Add fish stock or human grade fish oil to her meals. This will help as a natural anti inflammatory as well as other benefits.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltleo View Post
Add fish stock or human grade fish oil to her meals. This will help as a natural anti inflammatory as well as other benefits.
Unfortunately, she has many food sensitivities and can not have fish oil or any fish for that matter. We use and algae based omega-3 and give her Springtime Joint Health supplements.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

curcumin is a natural inflammatory too.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Master Member

I would research turmeric, my friend uses it for her older dogs with arthritis and they are notably more active on it. She does a turmeric/coconut oil paste. I give it to my kiddos too, but they don't have any soreness issues that I can comment on, I just give it for general health.

Edit: I totally missed how old this was, my bad.

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschmidt88 View Post
I would research turmeric, my friend uses it for her older dogs with arthritis and they are notably more active on it. She does a turmeric/coconut oil paste. I give it to my kiddos too, but they don't have any soreness issues that I can comment on, I just give it for general health.

No worries Any suggestions, advise, input anytime is always welcome. Ziva is such a fussy eater. I often have trouble getting her to eat food that has supplements of any kind added. I have tried many over the last 2 years.

Fortunately, I can report that she seems to like the Springtime Joint Health chewable tablets (we call them her candy). And, she seems to be doing very well on them. No signs of pain or stiffness. She runs, plays and acts totally normal.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Master Member

How often do you guys get x-Rays to check for HD ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschmidt88 View Post

I use Tumeric for my dogs. The senior has some arthritis but with the Tumeric you would ever know. It also helps my golden that has hip dysplasia and has had two FHOs. Not to mention I use it too. I do not give any other supplements for joint health.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page