6 month old with HD, can't afford surgery... In michigan. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 6 month old with HD, can't afford surgery... In michigan.

I don't know what to do. I just got his x-rays done today and they are pretty bad. My vet says surgery is only needed on his left because of how he was born. The bone isn't being cupped like the other, the bone isn't shaped like a "c", so it can't cradle the hip bone as it should. Instead, it is now almost dislocated due to a play accident he had a couple days ago. His right hip however, should be fine with medication. The surgery is $1600 per hip. I can't afford that and he doesn't see an alternative other than surgery. Like I said, his right is fine with just vitamins and medications but his left is absolutely terrible. He has been limping since his accident despite the pain/joint meds we just got him on and the orthopedic bed I bought him. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the X-rays to post yet. Is there anyone who knows of any ways I could pay for this? I can't really take out a loan and I was turned down when I applied for carecredit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM

sorry your going thru this

Can you apply for a small loan? Ask the vet if he would take payments?? apply for a credit card??

I was going to suggest care credit, but I see you already tried that route.

Hope you can figure something out.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Elite Member

call up to MI state, to the veterinary school, explain them your situation, they may be able to help you, your pup would be operated on by a student, but the professor would be there overseeing everything,

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Or try Purdue, I know it is further to drive, but I've heard GREAT things about their vet school. Check out your options.
I know of a friend that had to have both hips done(FHO's) on her boy and she lucked out with a vet that did it inexpensively compared to others. I hope your pup isn't in too much pain.
My vet misdiagnosed Onyx when she was 6 months(very bad positioning!) and suggested that she had severe HD. She really had a bout of Panosteitis.

After I got the x-rays and posted them here, I found out the vet was so wrong and it made me wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed in his 40 yr career.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Or try Purdue, I know it is further to drive, but I've heard GREAT things about their vet school. Check out your options.
I know of a friend that had to have both hips done(FHO's) on her boy and she lucked out with a vet that did it inexpensively compared to others. I hope your pup isn't in too much pain.
My vet misdiagnosed Onyx when she was 6 months(very bad positioning!) and suggested that she had severe HD. She really had a bout of Panosteitis.

After I got the x-rays and posted them here, I found out the vet was so wrong and it made me wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed in his 40 yr career.
That's crazy! Did you take new results back to the vet and show him he was wrong? What did he say?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Knighted Member

So sorry to hear about your pup. Here is a little info to read. I hope you are able to find something.
Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States

http://www.thepetfund.com/links.htm

Last edited by Msmaria; 10-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
That's crazy! Did you take new results back to the vet and show him he was wrong? What did he say?
His staff was very protective of him, and wouldn't involve themselves when I suggested he was wrong. He owned the practice, his daughter was one of the other vets. Very sad, considering this place is very, very busy and the head vet can't even diagnose Pano(which we all know is prevalent in the breed). His license should have been reviewed!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

does the dog have some sort of breeder's guarantee , that could offset your expenses?

Carmen

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

when Max was 4 months, he was walking in front of me, I put my hands on his hips, and i could feel the bones grinding and popping, freaked me out, I took him to the vet`s, she did that stretching and twisting thing they do, and said yes, he had pain, said she could xray, but warned my that she has seen xrays of hips so bad, that you would think the dog couldn't walk, but they go on to live a normal life, with supplements and most important exercise, walking is the best, keeping the muscle built up in the rear legs, the more muscle there, the less stress on the joint, something to consider, I do the operation as a last resort

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the ideas! Poor guy has barely left his bed. I can't help but think this may have been partially my fault knowing I saw the signs when he was younger and didn't take him in then. I suppose I figured(hoped) it was just his way of growing or something.

I never even thought of calling schools! Seeing that I am doing my pre-classes to get into the vet program myself I am definitely going to look into this. Knowing that within the next couple years that student could be me, grateful someone would trust me with their pet...

I'll keep you guys updated, I did apply for a grant so far. I only got the results this morning, so. I sincerely appreciate all the concern, it means a lot. I'm hoping between small amount donations from family and friends who are dying to help and maybe a small loan I can do this ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page