Zelda's x-ray of the Hips.. (Also her leg laterals) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Zelda's x-ray of the Hips.. (Also her leg laterals)

Poor chik-a-dee..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda's Hips.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	128073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelda Lateral Legs.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	128081  

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Knighted Member

Oh boy... That's no good. Positioning was poor, but the hips are bad either way so it doesn't matter.

What are your plans from here? What did the vet recommend?

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What the vet said for a plan for Zelda:
Vet wants to put her on metacam for pain- she is already on it for anal gland problem. And to continue that as needed. Since she is only 60 lbs. we would either be under dosing or over dosing if we did carprophen, which is my preferable medication to use.. So until she gains weight, not much else i can do about that.

She wants me to switch from Glyco-flex 2 to either cosequin or dosequin, since it has both glucosamine and chondriotin. And glyco-flex 2 does not have chondriotin.
She also wants her to go on omega 3 fish oil, 500-1000 mg/day (Fish oil) with either EPA or DHA.

And to up her exercise to create bigger muscle mass to help support the hips. We do 3 miles a day in walking. Since i only let her run maybe once a month. So i guess i need to do more than that, i probably will let her do a gait and some running on a 50 foot lead, but she wont be able to "book it" as much since she only has 50 feet of space and than that would be less impact on her hips and would be less painful for her after.

She merely mentioned Total hip replacement, but said it was very expensive.

I asked her if i should let her run, she said that i can, but to know when its too much by how she acts after the fact and do less next time.

A vet tech i know there very well, has a dog with HD, he is an american lab big boy who is now 11 years (he had it when he was young too), she does acupuncture and gold bead acupuncture as well- and also suggested that to me. She said she has had him on carprophen too. A vet there has been doing acupuncture for a long time now and he is very good at doing it.

On a side note: Also for her SA, since we did blood work, we can start her on reconcile, and if it works we can put her on the human brand which is a lot less expensive than the doggy prozac.

And on another side note: She was able to release the rest of her anal glands, and she put some antibiotic medication right in there, she said it is looking better. And i am to go back in 4 weeks to release her anal glands again- since now we have to do it for her! (yay.. not..)

I HATE seeing my dog under, i hate how it messes with their heart rate and breathing. Very sad and scary. Hopefully i dont have to do that anytime soon again..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM

so sorry(

I would definitely look into the acupuncture AND chinese medicine if you have someone around there.. Swimming also is a GREAT muscle builder..also when rehabbing mine with a knee surgery, we walked sideways (not up and down) slanted hilly areas,,that is good for muscle tone, also walking on sandy beaches, as well as just walking thru water,,water is low impact and helps with muscle tone.

If your going to have to keep expressing those glands, I would have them 'gone'...

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Knighted Member

I agree 100% with Diane.. SWIMMING! Swimming is such a great, low impact exercise to build muscle. Look up "hydro therapy"" or "water therapy" for dogs in your area!

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM

wish you were closer, I have used Deb Saunders for years, she is great

You could probably contact her and ask for a referral to your area, she does teach/train others but not sure of their locations.

Look up www.wizardofpaws.net Tell her I sent you...She has developed some really great supplements that may help as well

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Knighted Member

Costco sells the Cosequin.

So sorry to hear about your girl. I was hoping no news was good news. I haven't tried acupuncture, but let us know if it helps.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Knighted Member

Acupuncture for sure. Swimming as well. Great low impact muscle building.

Not really sure why you cant use rimadyl. 60lb dogs can't be dosed??? News to me since I dispense it for every sized dog out there. You can cut tablets in halves or quarters or whatever size you need to get the proper dose. 60lb I would probably recommend 100-150 mg depending on pain (comes in 100 mg large chew tabs). Technically the dose is roughly 2mg per lb - so 120mg. You can break a 100mg pill in 1/4 and give exactly 125 mg. So again dont understand why it cant be given. Sounds to me like your vet doesnt want to give your dog rimadyl...

I like rimadyl and think it works great. However I did read an article from a university vet school that said in comparison metacam was the only drug that the patient completely returned to normal on. I havent used it enough to give a personal opinion on it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Acupuncture for sure. Swimming as well. Great low impact muscle building.

Not really sure why you cant use rimadyl. 60lb dogs can't be dosed??? News to me since I dispense it for every sized dog out there. You can cut tablets in halves or quarters or whatever size you need to get the proper dose. 60lb I would probably recommend 100-150 mg depending on pain (comes in 100 mg large chew tabs). Technically the dose is roughly 2mg per lb - so 120mg. You can break a 100mg pill in 1/4 and give exactly 125 mg. So again dont understand why it cant be given. Sounds to me like your vet doesnt want to give your dog rimadyl...
My 20 pound dog was on it. She did well.

Riley - 11/05/2012-8/30/2013 (Myasthenia Gravis)
He will always be in my heart.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for all the helpful ideas guys! You guys are awesome.

Jakoda- i do have a vet about 45 minutes from me, its name is Qi, and the first appointment is $250, i called and he does acupuncture as well. He is a good guy, in fact he use to work at where i go now, and than he started his own vet clinic that was holistic.
Do you think walking through snow is similar to walking through sand and water? Unfortunately those are more of a summer thing! And its already in the 40's lately!
Wow i looked at the website and i would LOVE to have those things for Zelda.. Perhaps there is someone around here that does, i will have to look into it! Looks expensive though.

Wild-wolf: I will for sure! And when it starts getting warm out again, to the river and lakes! Of course its hard around here, because a lot of our lakes have zebra muscles.. and i do not want her getting cut on that.. Could get infected or do worse. But we do have a river in our back yard.

Msmaria- How expensive is the cosequin? I ended up choosing that one over dasequin. I got it for $65 on amazon, for 250 capsules. I looked on 1800 pet meds and its more expensive there.

Anubis star- I told them i really wanted carprophen. So they gave me carprophen. But i have to wait 5 days before using it, because metacam and carprophen are not supposed to be mixed. But a vet i highly respect, said there was a study and long term use on metacam led to cancer. So that and its expense and the fact that i am more familiar with carprophen. So they gave me 100 mg, and im supposed to give half, 2 times a day. That works. I also will probably do it by need. I probably wont give it everyday. At my work at the shelter we use carprophen a lot of the time, and it seems to work well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page