Help, need advice! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Angry Help, need advice!

I just bought a six month old (Beautiful) GSD. I have noticed a few things in the last couple of days. Gunner is scuffing his hind nails when walking and this morning I noticed him bunny hopping as he was running. So- I took him to the vet and they sedated him and took some xrays. The X-rays look normal, however, the doctor also performed a Ortolani test. The Dr. says Gunner is Positive in both hips especially his left hip which popped out twice. Once when he directly did the test and then when he did the test on the right side. Additionally, they said it is obvious that his left leg isn't gliding normal, like his right. All tale tale signs of HD. He says that he is fairly confident that I will have a pretty lame dog when he is about two... What are your thoughts and what should I do??? - so distraught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Elite Member

Can you contact the breeder? I know you are already in love..very hard situation..There are many really knowledgeable people on this site...They will help...I am sorry for you

Sibi-
Zoe..R.I.P
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

best thing you can do is exercise, not necessarily running, but walking keep the muscle tone up, and joint supplements

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

I have not heard of the ortolani test. X-ray appear normal. I would probably just do regular exercise to strengthen the muscles, and keep the dog lean and fit.

Puppies can be loosey-goosey. I don't know if this will be a problem down the line or not. But I think clear x-rays at this point are actually a good thing. And, some puppies that do not have HD do bunny-hop.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page