Opinions?? Is surgery my only option. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Opinions?? Is surgery my only option.

These are the xrays from my vet. the ortho did some too but I didnt get copies (looked better to me, but what do I know) both said he needs to have surgery.
I researched the surgery and it looks pretty painful. Dexter is only 6 1/2 months. Do you think alternative management is possible and surgery later/ or surgery now? Right now we are doing adequan and laser therapy for pain and trying not to let him run. Any opinions are appreciated. I havent been able to sleep since I found out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

You seem hesitant about the surgery, so I suggest you get a third opinion from another vet. You could take the x-rays with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The right hip is fine. The left is well formed but there is severe laxity. Some of that may improve with age as the ligaments tighten with maturity. Given that x-ray, I personally wouldn't jump to surgery *unless* the dog was having symptoms that were unquestionably caused by the hips (not pano, back injury, pulled muscle, etc...) I would let the dog grow, keep him at a good, lean weight and physically fit, and see where the hips are at in another 6-12 months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Those hips don't look that bad. The left is quite loose but he's just a pup. The right is fine, to my eye. Are you doing hydrotherapy? Supplements? Walks? I would wait a couple of months to see how all of the new stuff helps.

HAve you been to an ortho vet?

I was able to manage severe bilateral HD in my first gsd for 5 years without major surgery (got her a THR on one side at 5 years old). She did have a minor, salvage surgery at 1 year old on one side but I'm not sure it did anything to help. I kept her very strong--swimming, lots of walking, hiking, hills, etc. Kept the high impact exercise to a minimum. She did really long hikes, backpacking, etc.

Rafi came to me with HD at 1.5 years old, is now 7 and is doing fine. He has a high pain tolerance but his muscle tone is excellent and both of my vets recommended against surgery. I've got him on a million supplements and walk him 4 to 6 miles, at a very fast pace, every single day of the year.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

@ Marybeth. A third opinion would be good, I was scared too since both are saying the same thing, that its bad.

@ Chris and Bow wow, I have seen an ortho vet, He said Dexter (im going to use layman terms because I dont understand the sublaxation degrees and all the terminology ) had shallow sockets and that even the "good hip" has a high chance to get worse. He said even a TPO may not be the best because of shallow sockets (everything seems to be about shallow sockets) and a full hip replacement may be the best.. Not to let him jump or run. Hydrotherapy would be good for him to build up muscle.

Since im already paying alot for Adequan and laser therapy, because Dex does favor the hip on his right. So I know he must be having some pain there. I decided to do the swimming , walking in water at home. I ordered a small above ground pool, but because I live in California where its very hot these days its on backorder. I should get it Wednesday.

The ortho vet is a an older man (was referred by my vet), maybe late 70s with a strong accent and his bedside manner leaves some lacking but my vet also said the same thing. Needless to say I left in tears from his office. I do think after reading your replies , I need a third opinion.

Dexter is getting an Adequan shot 2 x a week, laser 2 x a week, I have him on a joint supplement, Glucosamine with MSM, and fish oil. He is already on the thin side but is very tall. ( and 4 cups of food doesnt seem to do it for him anymore, hes still hungry, but im afraid to give him more) I bought him an orthopeadic mattress for his crate and a heating pad.

Ive been trying to read up as much as I can here regarding supplements. I do want to try the bone soup but I have no idea where to find animal hooves here in the city. I called 3 butchers in the area and they dont have them. They dont butcher the whole animal, instead they get large pieces and cut them up.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I forgot to mention, that last night was the first night he didnt run when I took out his leash. He had just had 5th Adequan shot and 2nd laser therapy.

We walked him in the trails for an hour like we usually do and he didnt seem tired. Its hard to stop him from running because he likes to go back and forth between everyone and nose touch. Hes such a great dog.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
The right hip is fine. The left is well formed but there is severe laxity. Some of that may improve with age as the ligaments tighten with maturity. Given that x-ray, I personally wouldn't jump to surgery *unless* the dog was having symptoms that were unquestionably caused by the hips (not pano, back injury, pulled muscle, etc...) I would let the dog grow, keep him at a good, lean weight and physically fit, and see where the hips are at in another 6-12 months.
in a case like that, where one looks good and the other has such severe laxity, what are the odds (and possibly a case like that should warrant investigating) its actually a ligament issue or otherwise soft tissue injury or damage? I'm by no means an expert, but it looks like if it the laxity could be corrected it would otherwise be ok?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

I am thinking it is not the ball that is the question (that looks fine) but the socket itself is shallow and already showing significant deterioration for only 6.5 months (to my lay eyes).
My advice is to get at least 2-3 opinions from ortho people and then make the decision.
I <personally> would not want to make such a big decision based on the input of one ortho doc.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

If you are only on the 5th Adequan shot, you are still on the "loading" dose. I didn't see big improvement for my old male who has arthritis in his hips until about the end of week 3, and even more week 4.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
If you are only on the 5th Adequan shot, you are still on the "loading" dose. I didn't see big improvement for my old male who has arthritis in his hips until about the end of week 3, and even more week 4.
Yes, hes still loading. I hope we dont run out of Adequan. I hope to see him not favor the hip as much. I will see how it goes.

As far as the hips , yes the shallow socket is what both vets mention . But I have no idea what a socket should look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page