15 mo GSD...Vet says ADVANCED HD, thoughts? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

15 mo GSD...Vet says ADVANCED HD, thoughts?

Tooks Sadie in for her prelim hip xrays...vet said ADVANCED HD and that he would decide within 6 mos to either to full hip replacement or PTS...
I am devastated and at a loss for words
Wanted some of your thoughts and opinions
I am submitting to OFA tomorrow and wait for their evaluation as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	86994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, that's not good. The positioning is good so can't say its the positioning. Those hips don't look good at all. Getting a hip replacement, the dog can live a normal active healthy life.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Elite Member

HD is not a death sentence. Explore the FHO option. Those x-rays are good quality and yes, they do look quite poor. Not the worst I've seen by any stretch, though.
If your dog is active, able to walk, and is not in significant pain there is no reason to PTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Knighted Member

Why did he say pts? Is your dog in major pain right now? What tipped you off to have them X-rayed?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Why did he say pts? Is your dog in major pain right now? What tipped you off to have them X-rayed?
She seems to be in ZERO pain...runs, jumps, plays, etc. with no signs of pain. I decided to get X-rays because I heard you can do preliminary ones and submit to OFA to obtain and idea of what may be going on with hips. I had talked to a breeder (jean Schrader) who said she requires X-rays at 12-15 mos and 20-24 mos if you want to breed a pup your purchase from her. Essentially I just wanted to know if there was anything out of the ordinary. I can assure you I had no idea what the vet would say today....I just burst into tears, I can't imagine...
I'm definitely looking into other opinions in the matter before I do anything rash, but I know right now that I can't afford hip replacement surgery ($10K?) I wish I could, and I'll do more research after the initial shock of today wears off
I feel like its my fault somehow and that's making it harder...I wish today didn't happen and my Sadie was ok

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Knighted Member

Make sure you send those X-rays to the breeder. She will want to know. She has been on here and seems very knowledgable about Hips and her lines in general.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Put to sleep over those hips?? I don't think so. I see the HD, but they're not horrible. I would not call these hips severe.

What supplements is she on if any? How's her weight? What kind of exercise do you do with her?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Make sure you send those X-rays to the breeder. She will want to know. She has been on here and seems very knowledgable about Hips and her lines in general.
I apologize, Jean was not the breeder of Sadie. Jean was someone I have spoken with about purchasing a puppy from and that is how I learned of her requirements....I have nothing negative to say about her, she seems very knowledgable and kind...
The breeder I purchased Sadie from is an irresponsible jerk. I could send these to him all day and he would never own up to any fault of his breeding program...lesson learned unfortunately...

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Put to sleep over those hips?? I don't think so. I see the HD, but they're not horrible. I would not call these hips severe.

What supplements is she on if any? How's her weight? What kind of exercise do you do with her?
She is 78 lbs and from what the vet said today great health..
She and I were working on her obedience training (beginner) so every evening I would practice heeling, "watch me", recall and sit stays. She is mostly and outside dog and plays regularly with our other dogs running and things.
We also play fetch pretty frequently or tug-of-war...it recently has been so hot we have cut back on those. Occasional tug of war in the house where it is cooler. We had been going to private training classes that were about an hour in length but Sadie recently fractured a metacarpal in her front foot and we had to let her heal before resuming any major activity.
She eats royal canin german shepherd brand, mixed with a supplement called Platinum that my regular vet gave me. We also mix coconut oil into her food on a regular basis. We alternate raw egg, raw meats, etc. into her feeding a couple times a week.
The vet told me today he didn't suspect that I had done anything to essentially increase the HD or however that should be said, but I still feel like its my fault.
I purchased her a flirt pole the other day and it arrived today...I was so excited to play with her and now I'm almost afraid to hurt her or make anything worse

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

I'd research supplements specifically for HD dogs before you go the surgery route if she's not in any pain. Glucosamine, vitamin c, fish oils, etc.

How tall is she at the withers? Is she a tall girl? 78 pounds is pretty big for a female, but not overweight. Keeping her thin is going to be very important. You don't want those hips supporting more weight than they need to.

You're going to need to be careful about the exercise she does. No jumping. Low impact type exercising - swimming, walking, no running long distances on hard surfaces.

Speak to your breeder. I don't know her, but she seems to be very knowledgeable. I'm sure she can point you in the right direction since your vet hasn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page