7 Month old with hip dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Hip questions

So I've been going back and forth about posting this and I think at this point I just need some advice. Stella my 7 month old puppy seems to be having "swinging" hips. I am uncertain whether or not it is because she is going through a growth spurt and is just having an awkward phase like puppies have sometimes or if it is something more severe. She is fairly long and I'm wondering I'd it is just her body catching up with the rest of herself. I also noticed her hips popping, with that being said I don't mean when she walks or runs I only noticed because I was playing with her and was petting her on the butt and I felt her hip pop. I hope this makes sense! Any advice or insight would be great.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly the best advice IMO is to get X-rays done & submitted to OFA. At 6 months you can have prelims done.

Is she a healthy weight?
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes! I haven't weighed her since she was spayed but she weighed 54 then. I've kept her on the leaner side and she is very active. I've scheduled an appointment for xrays on monday and I was partially hoping i was just being a worry wart. Its just nerve wrecking. She is my girl and idk what I would do if anything happened to her

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting worried the more time passes I put my hand on her hip ans when she walks I can feel them pop is is possible that this is just a growth spurt or something? And not hip dysplasia?!

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

The looseness is not that concerning because they can tighten up. The popping I would be concerned about. My Rafi's hips did a lot of popping when I first adopted him and so did my 7 month old kitten's hips (!). Both of them were also lacking in muscle mass in that area. I put both of them on joint support, started regular exercise and they both improved a lot and the popping went away.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Crowned Member

I'd get the popping hips checked out by your vet. My OES was 8 weeks old when her hips popped in and out. Back then there was little that could be done, not sure what they can do today for a puppy but I'd sure find out if I were you.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
The looseness is not that concerning because they can tighten up. The popping I would be concerned about. My Rafi's hips did a lot of popping when I first adopted him and so did my 7 month old kitten's hips (!). Both of them were also lacking in muscle mass in that area. I put both of them on joint support, started regular exercise and they both improved a lot and the popping went away.
What joint support did you use? We do exercise regularly but its just pretty basic walks and what not. We just got back into the swing of things after her being spayed. I'm going on monday to get her hips checked out. I also wanted to mention that she in no way seems uncomfortable, I know dogs are pretty good at masking pain but she still run jumps and a ts like the crazy puppy she is!

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

I use a couple because Rafi's joints are really bad (he's 7 now). Here are some that I like:

Springtime Inc. Longevity
In Clover Connectin powder
Vetriscience Glycoflex III tablets

I also give high doses of Ester C but you're not supposed to do that for a growing puppy. He also gets some herbal anti-inflammatories, Tumeric and Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Jerky treats and if he's really sore he gets Traumeel, Zeel or Arnica.

Btw, Rafi does show some pain but his muscle mass is still good so several vets have told me they wouldn't advise surgery based on how well he's doing without it. I have been moderating his exercise--lots of walking and hiking on and off leash, swimming or walking in water, if possible but limiting his running and jumping.

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
I use a couple because Rafi's joints are really bad (he's 7 now). Here are some that I like:

Springtime Inc. Longevity
In Clover Connectin powder
Vetriscience Glycoflex III tablets

I also give high doses of Ester C but you're not supposed to do that for a growing puppy. He also gets some herbal anti-inflammatories, Tumeric and Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Jerky treats and if he's really sore he gets Traumeel, Zeel or Arnica.

Btw, Rafi does show some pain but his muscle mass is still good so several vets have told me they wouldn't advise surgery based on how well he's doing without it. I have been moderating his exercise--lots of walking and hiking on and off leash, swimming or walking in water, if possible but limiting his running and jumping.
Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully the vet will have good news on monday. I'm just upset something could be wrong with her. I feel deprived that I might not be able to get to spend as much time with her as I had thought. You get a puppy thinking you will have years and years with them. I'm probably overreacting but my brain is in overdrive right now :/

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

HD is NOT a death sentence! My first gsd was diagnosed with severe bilateral HD at under a year old and lived to be almost 12. Her death was unrelated to her hips!

Don't panic--she could be just fine and even if she does have HD, it is totally manageable. No one could ever tell from looking at Rafi--even a vet!

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page