Lexer's Hips - 1 year - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Lexer's Hips - 1 year

Been looking at the forum and while his don't look as bad as others I am still concerned. He shows no signs of pain or discomfort. He is very very agile, comes from East working lines. I sent copies to my breeder and waiting to see what she says.

He is on NuPro, GNC daily vitamin, he gets a mixture of RAW feeding and Natures Variety. Any advice, or comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEX_ORR_60043-1-20130620145602119-original.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	82674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Positioning isn't great, but is good enough to gage the hips. Shallow sockets, a lot of laxity, femoral heads are flatening and remodeling. Mild to Moderate HD.

I've seen worse, and had a dog with worse who lived to 13 without any problems with her hips. Keep him lean and well muscled, and add joint supplements to his diet, and he may lead a long, full live without any symptoms. So sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

With how they are now is there any guess as to when he may show symptoms or it start to be an issue?

5 years, 8 years? My mom's Golden has hip issues, not sure how bad his X-ray's are but any exercise and he is sore later and needs pills, he is only 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Picture I uploaded doesn't look as clear as the original.
Maybe this will look better.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM

There is no way to know, unfortunately.

The dog I mentioned that we had with worse hips was first x-rayed at a year old. Her hips were worse than your dogs.. more laxity, more femoral head flattening and remodeling, arthritis already evident.. and as I said with diet, exercise and joint supplements when she died at 13 of cancer she still had never been bothered a day in her life by her hips. Though many vets had told us to expect her to be crippled by middle age, it never happened. Then I've known dogs who's x-rays weren't as bad as her's, but who were bothered by their hips much younger. So there really is no way to predict the future. The only thing to do is try to be proactive with diet, exercise and supplements, and if problems do arise later they can be treated with meds, alternative therapies, or surgery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if the X-rays would look different if the placement was better.
Watched the video posted in this section of the forum. It doesn't look terrible bad, but I am not sure you would see a drastic change if redone.

I will see what my Breeder says. *sigh*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Yes, the positioning is poor, but it's not horrible. It's good enough to gage the hips and better positioning won't change the outcome. If anything, it would make them look worse as the legs being closer together (as they should be with correct positioning) would leverage the femoral heads further out of the socket. The biggest problem there is the shape of the femoral heads, and no adjustments to positioning will change that.
If you want an official read on them, send them to OFA for a prelim evaluation. Your breeder might want you to do that anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page