OFA Hips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

OFA Hips

I was wondering if anyone here knows about OFA hips, I had Xrays done on Sam today and had them give me a copy of the Xray and I dont know how to read them or what they show. The vet said that the results should be back in about 2 weeks but I'd like to see what others think,. this is the first time I've had this done and I'm not good at comparing them to the ones on the OFA site. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

I have no experience but from what I learned from this video he looks to be positioned good. I'm sure you will get opinions

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ng-x-rays.html
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

The balls look like they're starting to deform and they don't look too snug in the sockets either. I'd guess mild HD... maybe fair at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
The balls look like they're starting to deform and they don't look too snug in the sockets either. I'd guess mild HD... maybe fair at best.
Oh god I was hoping for at least a Fair, both her parents have Good hips, and we were really careful about what she gets fed and not ever over-exercised, etc.... it would be terrible if she didn't pass.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

What did your vet think of the x-rays?

The hips really don't look terrible. He might never even show symptoms. I'd be proactive with glucosamine and supplementing starting now though.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
What did your vet think of the x-rays?

The hips really don't look terrible. He might never even show symptoms. I'd be proactive with glucosamine and supplementing starting now though.
the vet today said her elbows looked excellent but the hips she couldn't really tell she thought maybe Fair but said that the people at OFA would be a much better judge on the hips. I'll order some glucosamine right now.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedevilx15 View Post
the vet today said her elbows looked excellent but the hips she couldn't really tell she thought maybe Fair but said that the people at OFA would be a much better judge on the hips. I'll order some glucosamine right now.
Wait for some more opinions before you start ordering stuff. There's a lot of breeders on here that knows about this stuff better than me. Maybe they'll have a different opinion than me.

There's lots of threads about supplementing and HD. Definitely do a search through some of those old threads. Lots of good info.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I agree with Lucy. There is less than 50% coverage if the head, thickening if the neck and they look mottled already. I would be surprised if you got a Fair.

But I am not an orthopedist so my opinion is just that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I agree with Lucy. There is less than 50% coverage if the head, thickening if the neck and they look mottled already. I would be surprised if you got a Fair.

But I am not an orthopedist so my opinion is just that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That is not what I wanted to hear, but I do value your opinion and will be sitting on pins and needles until OFA gets back to me with their results.

Here is my other question though, Sammy tested positive for lyme and Anaplasmosis last year and this year, but shows no signs of either disease, if she had an infection of either or both, could that have effected her hips? The Vets determined there is not an active infection at this time, and she has always been on flea/tick preventative and heartworm preventative so I dont understand why she tested positive for those but she acts happy and healthy as can be, and never limps or shows any problems with her hips, etc. she always tests negative for heartworms.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

I'm thinking it's probably something genetic. Post her pedigree in the bloodlines and pedigrees section and see if the pedigree people see any dogs in there that may possibly throw bad hips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page