Supplement for arthritis (& possibly HD/ED?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Supplement for arthritis (& possibly HD/ED?)

I was at the vet's today and looking through an equestrian magazine when I saw an article about treating arthritis in horses. The article mentioned Avocado and Soybean oil Unsaponifiable (ASU), which apparently has been tested both on humans and horses with positive results.

(I had to look up unsaponifiable ) when I got home.

Here's some info I found online.

http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/a...do_soybean.htm

http://www.lef.org/protocols/immune_...thritis_01.htm

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandoli...22/b122-3.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=yyV-swH...num=7&ct=result

http://www.arthritismd.com/avocado-s...nifiables.html

http://www.baselinenutritionals.com/ingredients/asu.htm

I'm always thinking of our seniors and wondering what else we can do to improve and extend their lives. Might this be a supplement we should consider? Anyone have any experience with it?

The article also sang the praises of hyaluronic acid, even more than I've seen elsewhere. This is a supplement I've tended to overlook (when it's part of the glu/chond supplement, my dogs get it; when it's not, they don't.). I think I need to revisit HA and consider giving it for its own sake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Supplement for arthritis (& possibly HD/ED?)

Just be SO careful.....Avacado (certain strains ) can be toxic to horses AND canines AND birds- chose wisely- and with the help of your vet......

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

I put Chama on human grade hyaluronic acid for 3 months and saw no difference whatsoever. I sent the remaining bottle to Jean. She uses it for her pack.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Knighted Member

Dasuquin has ASU. It was a miracle drug for my Wooly Bear before he crossed the bridge. He was cha-cha-ing around the house like a pup.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...uquin_faq.asp#
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LJsMomDasuquin has ASU. It was a miracle drug for my Wooly Bear before he crossed the bridge. He was cha-cha-ing around the house like a pup.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...uquin_faq.asp#
I've also had good results with Dasuquin w/MSM. Unfortunately Honey is picky and doesn't like them, sometimes she eats one, most of the time Mac eats his and hers, so I also have her on COSEQUIN. I also give both of them Cetyl-M.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the news about Dasuquin! As Odin's only real trouble (knock on wood) these days is arthritis in his knees I'm always looking for something else to help him.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

I use HA and can tell the difference.

My dogs can't handle soy, so I haven't tried the product mentioned above. The avocado doesn't bother me -- I feed it to the mutts all the time, careful not to give any of the skin or the dark areas close to the skin -- they seem to handle it well.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:The article also sang the praises of hyaluronic acid, even more than I've seen elsewhere. This is a supplement I've tended to overlook (when it's part of the glu/chond supplement, my dogs get it; when it's not, they don't.). I think I need to revisit HA and consider giving it for its own sake.
I give Max HA (severe HD) and I definitely see the results. I have tried a few different ones, LubriSyn (I was a bit weary of this one due to some stuff I read) I also tried K-9 Conquer, Trixsyn and HyaFlex. The one that has helped Max the most is HyaFlex, so this is the one I'll stick with.

Our pack:

Kallie (GSD) Gone but always in our hearts
Max (GSD) Gone and will be forever in my heart.
Argos (GSD mix)
Emmi (Lab)
Buster (Lab)
Annie (Aussie mix)
Kam (Lab)
Zindelo Von Schone Stadt (GSD)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Sheba's been on Dasuquin w/MSM for about 2 months after being on Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a few years. It took about 6 weeks before I started seeing a difference and yeah, its pretty amazing to see the change in her.

Nina

Mom to Ginger, Belle & April (cats)
Never forgetting -
Cody (GSD) 1993 - 8/21/05
Sheba (GSD) 6/97 - 8/3/09
Lyla (Maine Coon) 1994? - 4/3/07
Tonic (LBC) 1998? - 5/19/07
Chloe (Tuxedo) 1997? - 10/11/08 Forever in my heart.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Another thumbs up for Dasuquin w/MSM. I have tried all the brands and Dasuquin is the only one I visibly saw a different in how my dogs were getting around.
I found it cheapest at http://www.petstruly.com. You have to use the search function to find it on the site. For some reason, they don't have it listed with the other joint supplements.

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page